Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

imafishimafish

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  15:53:50  Show Profile
Hi Rob,

I'm sure you've looked into Windows 8 support. I was sure I'd read something on the forum, but searching I couldn't find any threads. I imagine as a desktop app there will be few (if any changes required). But what about in the metro-style start menu? And the apps that run in that space. Will SP work there?

I've seen some videos about Windows 8 and it looks quite clumsy for a mouse, but with the power of SP it could be a really nice experience, especially since the Start screen and Windows 8 apps are designed for touch.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  16:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
To be honest, I'm not going to run Windows 8 for a while as I really dislike Metro.

In the desktop arena, I believe S+ is working fine (my Win8 VM is kaput, but S+ worked fine back when I first installed Win8), but I don't think it does anything in the Metro space due to not being designed as such. I'm sure I'll play around with things eventually, once Win8 has been out for a while and information and real-world development practices/examples are all over the web. For the meantime, I'm not planning on anything major as I believe it's pretty much a rewrite to work in the Metro space (or I think a completely separate Metro app)...but I really haven't looked into it at all.

At this point, it remains to be seen how well Metro is adopted; I speculate it won't be as high as MS is betting on. Another matter is that from what I've seen, most power users have no interest in Metro; in fact despise it (hell, S+ user breakcore still rolls classic XP with all visual styles disabled!). That being the core demographic of S+ users, the value of rewriting a whole new app for Metro isn't compelling...again, at this point in time. It may very well take off and that would be a different story.

Really, I believe S+ will ultimately need to be rewritten (or duplicated) for a touch world where a single mouse-button and some modifiers just don't cover it. It will need a multi-touch gesture engine, which is an entirely different beast and it will be interesting to see how much I'll be able/willing to invest in learning that! But, I like to tinker..I've also pre-ordered the Leap Motion device, so that should open the doors to learning about multi-point gestures.

On the other hand, apps like S+ could become moot as touch increases and developers consider a new world of interface design utilizing touch and gestures, leaving little room/value added by a new S+.

Who knows? Guess we'll just have to see where things take us
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000