General Discussion
 [HELP] Portable S+ (x64) cannot longer be launched
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

octaedro7

3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  10:26:38  Show Profile
Hi, I was hoping someone can give me a hand with this one.
All of a sudden Strokes plus (v 2.8.6.0, portable x64 signed) ceased to load at startup on my fully updated W7 x64 ultimate rig, after having done so for a long time (this and older versions). When I went to check and tried to manually launch it I got this:

I have checked that my permissions for the file are fine (I am system admin, and owner of all files in the folder) to no avail.

The problem is specific to this computer since I could test this very same portable S+ in my other W7 x64 laptop and runs just fine. More over I tried an older version (2.7.x.x) on the affected PC yielding the same results as the screenshot above

I'm quite clueless as to where the issue lies, this is the first time something like this occurs to me (in several decades as Windows user I must admit)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Gonzalo

Edited by - octaedro7 on 10/01/2015 10:28:06

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  10:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
You need to have the StrokesPlus certificate installed as trusted on the system to use the signed version. Start > Run > certmgr.msc under Trusted Root Certification Authorities\Certificates. Windows is trying to authenticate the signature, but the cert isn't there so it doesn't get a valid response.

However, if you're not going to run it from \Windows or \Program Files, you may as well just run the unsigned version as you don't gain the benefits of being signed if it's run from outside of those locations.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  10:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
StrokesPlus.cer is the certificate, and it's included in the ZIP file. Though, running the regular S+ installer will also install the cert. Even if you then uninstall S+, the cert will remain on the system.
Go to Top of Page

octaedro7

3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:16:15  Show Profile
Thanks Rob for your answer.
Indeed I could run the unsigned version from a location outside program files.
I'm still puzzled though as to why the signed version has run fine (also outside the Program Files folder) all this time until recently...

I have placed the signed portable inside \Program Files and imported the certificate as you suggested:

It runs, but when launching it I get:

I have replaced the file as indicated but the result is the same.

?

What downsides do I have running the unsigned version?

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
You are now running the signed version successfully. That error is stating it simply couldn't fine or access the ActionHelp.xml file. You can run Process Monitor (from Microsoft) to see where the file is trying to be accessed and the reason it failed.

As far as why, I cannot answer. Perhaps something like Malwarebytes or some other cleaner removed the cert thinking it was risky since I don't fork out > $500/year to have a true trusted cert. Maybe (if in a corporate environment) your system administrators removed/prevent access. The possibilities are endless.

Check this post for information pertaining to the rules S+ follows when starting up in regards to where it decides to try an load files:
http://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic/587/changed-user-file-location-and-behavior
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Oh yea, so the signed version (when running from within Program Files) gives you the benefit of being able to run S+ automatically when Windows loads, the ability to interact with programs running with Admin privileges, and the ability to interact with the Windows 8+ Start screen.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:29:37  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Note: Be able to interact with elevated programs without S+ having to be run with elevated privileges.
Go to Top of Page

octaedro7

3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  17:29:02  Show Profile
Thanks once more Rob.
The only anti-malware software I'm running is MS security essential, the certificate was never installed before as I've always run it portable (and from startup by placing the shortcut in the startup folder), so the whole thing remains a mistery to me.
Anyway I'm running the unsigned version successfully now :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000