Possible corruption with Chrome browser config
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danny Alcini

10 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:08:28  Show Profile
Hi Rob,
Lately SP has quit working for me in Chrome. It still works in all other apps and on the desktop, but in Chrome, I can see the stroke trailer start and then disappear mid-stroke. I replaced StrokesPlus.xml and ActionHelp.xml with unmodified versions (the way they come after installation), and the browser gestures started working again - so I think there is an issue in one of those config files. Is there any way restore only the portion of the xml file that controls the browser gestures so that I don't lose all the gestures I've created for other applications? I can share the files if necessary.

As always - I love SP, and will be in line to buy when your paid version debuts!

Danny

Edited by - Danny Alcini on 01/13/2017 12:10:36

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:11:23  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Sure, send me the StrokesPlus.xml at rob@strokesplus.com, or drop in pastebin or something.
Go to Top of Page

Danny Alcini

10 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:11:41  Show Profile
P.S. - It still works just fine in Firefox - which is strange!
Go to Top of Page

Danny Alcini

10 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:15:09  Show Profile
Sent - Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
There's some weird use case that causes the preferences tab to be wiped out, I have no idea why and have never been able to reproduce the issue.

Open your Preferences tab and compare it to the Preferences screenshot at the link below.

http://www.strokesplus.com/screenshots/

The biggest trouble makes are these settings:

Match Precision
Match Probability
Reset Cancel Delay on Movement/Modifier

Set those to match the Preferences screenshot and things will probably be back to normal again. I'd recommend setting everything back to the way the screenshot shows them, unless there are any that you intentionally changed/unchecked.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Essentially, it's requiring you to draw a perfect gesture (no fuzzy matching) in less than 50 milliseconds.
Go to Top of Page

Danny Alcini

10 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  09:23:51  Show Profile
Thanks Rob,
Looks like it keeps getting wiped out on my machine. I'll see if I can figure out what's triggering it. If you want any logs or anything let me know - I'd be happy to help out if repeatability of the error would be of value to you.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  10:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I'd be very interested to see if you can repeat this every time with your config. Then if it still happens if you replace your StrokesPlus.xml (backing up your original of course!) with the defaul install version.

If it does, in fact, happen with yours, but not with the default, then gradually removing ignored/hot keys/apps/actions until it stops having the issue...very tedious, I know.
Go to Top of Page

Guillaume

15 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  11:06:21  Show Profile
@Danny Alcini Have you edited your .xml outside StrokesPlus with a text editor by any chance?
Go to Top of Page

Danny Alcini

10 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  00:37:35  Show Profile
@Rob,
Of course now that I've offered to help you troubleshoot I can't get this behavior to re-occur! I originally thought it was related to my use of a regex for the executable names, but after a few corruptions, it started working perfectly again. If this issue does ever re-occur, I'll try to investigate what is triggering it on my end. Thanks for your help!

@Guillaume,
To answer your question, no. Pretty much the only thing I do is copy the xml for backup and restore.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  00:48:54  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
One thing to be aware of from a technical standpoint. Clicking Apply only saves the settings in memory, does not write to the file. Clicking Cancel reloads the settings (if I recall correctly...). If you click Apply then click the X, I believe it will still have the settings in memory, but not write to the file.

May not be relevant, but could explain a specific series of events that could result in something getting out of whack. It's been a long time since I wrote that code, but believe it or not, I did have a reason for doing it; was probably for testing certain scenarios.
Go to Top of Page

Danny Alcini

10 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  01:33:24  Show Profile
That's good to know Rob, thanks. It likely explains why I thought I could reproduce the error. There's a good chance that I only hit apply after resetting my preferences. From now on I'll be sure to exit and restart Strokes Plus after applying any mods.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  01:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
If you click OK, it does save and write the changes, even if you clicked Apply then OK it should be fine. .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000