Closed or Deferred Requests
 [DEFERRED] Hint matched Gesture on screen
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:42:26  Show Profile
If we define some alike Gestures, we might can't draw the Gesture correctly, if we can hint the user already matched Gesture on the screen, then the user might draw the Gesture continue until matched he wanted.

For example, Suppose we define two Gesture like > and ):
If the user want to draw ), When he draw the Gesture, might get > at the end, if we can show matched Gesture name at the screen during draw the Gesture, then the user might continue and correct it.

The hint might just show Gesture name on the screen hugely.

Because we don't know the matched action we expected, so we can't cancel this Gesture, so might run incorrectly and unexpected action, that's dangerous.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
So something like an optional balloon tip originating from the tray icon which displays the most likely gesture match as you're drawing? Then if it's not what you intended, you could decide to let the gesture timeout (cancel delay) so you would not, for example, accidentally delete a file when you meant to draw a different gesture?
Go to Top of Page

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:22:18  Show Profile
Bingo, Yes!
But I think the OSD(On Screen Display) hint better than balloon tip tray icon.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob

So something like an optional balloon tip originating from the tray icon which displays the most likely gesture match as you're drawing? Then if it's not what you intended, you could decide to let the gesture timeout (cancel delay) so you would not, for example, accidentally delete a file when you meant to draw a different gesture?

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  10:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
The problem with OSD is that it's not a standard UI feature. Meaning, while you may like it via OSD, someone else may not. What about the size? Location?

I'm sure I'll have some better ideas on how to approach this when I get around to working on it.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  01:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
The biggest problem I have with this is performance. In order to accomplish this, S+ will have to be continuously comparing all gesture sets for every mouse movement or threshold. I fear the performance hit may be troublesome or annoying, leading to no one wanting to enable such a feature.

I'm still mulling this over, but I'm honestly just not feeling this one thus far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000