General Discussion
 Sync between computers using Dropbox
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Edward Dablin

17 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  03:50:45  Show Profile
I run this program on many computers and want gestures I make to be implemented on all of them without having to redo. On them all, I run StrokesPlus from my Dropbox folder so would expect that when I make a change, it would change one of the xml files and then sync across all computers. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas why anyone? Has anyone had better success using any other method?

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  11:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
It would seem that should be fine, but I also don't know if Dropbox is doing anything funky behind the scenes, like redirecting to a copy of the file so it can retain full access, etc.

I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with.
Go to Top of Page

durexlw

13 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  08:37:48  Show Profile
To my knowledge dropbox stores the files in a specific directory. Unless you stored the whole (portable) application in that directory, I don't expect this to work.

Unless you use the symbolic trick to map directories to other places.
Go to Top of Page

plunt

Italy
88 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  11:45:46  Show Profile
tryed something like:
"C:\Program Files\StrokesPlus\StrokesPlus.exe" C:\DropBoxDir\StrokesPlus.xml

Edited by - plunt on 01/04/2013 11:47:02
Go to Top of Page

Edward Dablin

17 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  03:54:32  Show Profile
Just tested again and still doesn't seem to work. I store the whole portable Strokesplus folder in my dropbox so should work without having to redirect config file.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  13:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I would use Process Monitor.

Set it up to exclude everything but StrokesPlus.exe and deselect all but the file cabinet in the top toolbar to see what file/path S+ is loading (close and reopen S+ after you have the filters setup).
Go to Top of Page

Edward Dablin

17 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  17:34:49  Show Profile
The xml file seems to be syncing but Stokesplus, which I have set to autorun from the startup folder, seems to be ignoring it.

Process monitor seems to show lots of paths but mostly the one I would expect. This is my process monitor logfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ldsrm67ppt0lca/Logfile.PML
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  17:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
So does S+ start before Dropbox gets the chance to sync the file? Meaning, let's imagine this scenario:

1. Windows starts up
2. S+ runs an loads StrokesPlus.xml from the Dropbox path
3. Dropbox service loads and syncs
4. S+ still has (in memory) the StrokesPlus.xml loaded before Dropbox sync'd

Also you have to consider that S+ saves StrokesPlus.xml frequently. It's possible that:

1. S+ loads (let's assume the above, before Dropbox touches StrokesPlus.xml)
2. You open up the Settings window (to check the status) and click OK, which saves StrokesPlus.xml
3. Dropbox looks and sees the file has been touched and doesn't sync from the cloud

Just a guess, but a reasonable one.

Try this:

1. Close S+ on the computer in the above scenario, make a note of the timestamp of StrokesPlus.xml
2. With the computer in the above scenario powered down, change StrokesPlus.xml in Dropbox
3. Boot up the computer, let Windows load as normal
4. Check the timestamp of StrokesPlus.xml (don't do anything in S+)
5. Wait a bit and see if Dropbox syncs the file, which I would imagine it should
6. If the timestamp changes to a more recent one, indicating Dropbox has updated it
7. Right-click the S+ tray icon and select Reload Config & Lua Engine
8. Open S+ Settings window and see if the change you made in Dropbox is now reflected in S+ Settings

If the timestamp of StrokesPlus.xml doesn't change, then Dropbox hasn't sync'd the file; but it sounds like you've verified that part. I have a sneaking suspicion that S+ is loading StrokesPlus.xml before Dropbox has sync'd.

Let me know what you find.
Go to Top of Page

Edward Dablin

17 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  03:55:57  Show Profile
Problem solved!

OK so the easy test was to use the restore feature on dropbox.com. Indeed what Rob suggested was the issue. So, I suggest for anyone using dropbox to sync between multiple computers to delay startup. To do this, this is my way (probably a better way - I am limited to install programs as I don't have admin rights):

1. Create a batch file in notepad similar to mine on each computer referencing strokesplus executable.

@echo off

rem for 55secs delay..

PING 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 55000 >NUL

rem starting delayed start programs

start /D "C:\Users\Ed\Documents\Career\ICE\Dropbox\Non-ICE\Programs\StrokesPlus_2.4.0_x64\StrokesPlus" /B StrokesPlus.exe

2. Create a vbs file in notepad on both computers and put in windows startup folder. I have done this way as this vbs file will hide the command prompts that the batch files create.

'HideBat.vbs
CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "C:\Users\Ed\Documents\Career\ICE\Dropbox\Non-ICE\Programs\StartupOrderHome.bat", 0, True

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  06:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Great, glad to hear the mystery is solved!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000