General Discussion
 Immediately registers gesture with Modifier only
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris

28 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  00:22:17  Show Profile
First, I would like to thank you for creating this wonderful app that I and many others cannot use computer efficiently without.

Now, I have a question regarding registering a gesture with Right Button as Stroke Button and Left Button as Modifier.
Is it possible to register the gesture without releasing the Stroke Button (Right Mouse Button)?

I want to create menus for applications using Autoit.
When I hold Right Mouse Button + one Left click, it will open first menu.
While still holding Right Mouse Button + the second Left click, it will open second menu.
Surely I would need to create the menu myself, I just need to know if StrokePlus can register my gesture without having to release the Right Mouse Button.

Not really good at explaining things, but I hope you got it.
Thank you.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  13:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear you're getting use out of S+.

Unfortunately, S+ cannot do what you're looking for. This is due to the fact that an action definition can consist of many modifiers. For example, I have actions for Right+Left, Right+Left+X1, Right+Left+X2, etc.; so if S+ fired on Right+Left, I'd never be able to use the other actions. S+ would not be able to know that for this particular action, I really don't want it to keep looking for any additional modifiers.

Note that the only exception to this is for actions which use the mouse wheel (if Fire Recognition on Mouse Wheel Scroll is enabled in Preferences). That could do what you're looking for, as each tick of the mouse wheel will fire the script, you could use up and down scroll actions to move through the menus you're looking to create (all while holding the Right down). Of course, many people use the mouse wheel combination for other more common things and you may not wish to lose those functions. However, you could define a pair of actions for Right+Left+Scroll Up and Right+Left+Scroll Down. Then, you press Right+Left (only need to tap Left once, not hold), then scroll the mouse wheel up or down, whatever code is in the Scroll Up action will be fired each mouse wheel tick up, and the script in the scroll down fired for each down tick. You could define and use global variables in Lua which your script(s) could use to maintain the state between ticks (e.g. to know what position in your multiple menus is the current one).

Regarding your original desired behavior, it's something for which there is a programmatic way to accomplish, but the entire core of the S+ code simply cannot support it without major changes, which I'm not currently considering rewriting.

Some day, S+ will be due for a full rewrite from the ground up; when that happens, I'll be ensuring that, to the best of my abilities, each and every one of these types of requests are addressed; so everyone is happy! But, that day is not today
Go to Top of Page

Chris

28 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  17:05:37  Show Profile
I see. After Right+Left, S+ would wait for other modifier that may be called by user...and by releasing the Right button, it would tell S+ that user is finished doing the gesture. So, I tried the other way around. I was able to fire script repeatedly by holding the Left button then Right button up and down. In my script it will detect whether Left button is still down, and continues the next menu each time Right button is down. The down side of it is that the window below the mouse will be activated as I press the Left button first. However, I think Right+Left+Scroll is good option too. With scroll up and down, I could go back to previous menu rather than just going forward only.

Thank you for the explanations and also for trying to make StrokePlus as customizable as possible for everyone.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000