Old gesture but Stroke+ New user, Multiple Issues
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strokeman

33 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  09:18:56  Show Profile
Hello Rob
Surely a great productive software. You seem to be very active at forum support too. great job.

Having used Firefox Gestures since yrs, thought why not control whole OS. Have been using Autoit since 15 days &read about strokeplus
Trying it now since last 3 days (esp. knowing your support & future plans for strokeplus)
But i am facing some issues, which are ruining a bit of fun

1) PC Specs(in case it matters): WinXP SP264Bit, Quad i5 4.2gHz, 16gbDDR3 1800MhzRAM, RAMDisk, SSD's, Full HD displays
I get slowness over different program window switching. This is not so with Autoit. Can i do something about it? is there a setting which i might have fiddled, which may be causing this?
For e.g. I have sysinternals's ProcessExplorer always open. When strokeplus is alive, switching to it lags(it slowly loads from top of screen to bottom) . This is quick when strokeplus is disabled/killed.
1 more thing slowness is more with programs which are pretty live (say continuously updating)..just like ProcessExplorer. Normal?

2) In firefox's private mode window, global actions work but browser actions don't work at all . normal??

3) In firefox, i have set scroll to page bottom command as acSendKeys("^End") & page top command as acSendKeys("^Home")
But former causes firefox to open "Group your tabs" window & latter leads to history window. i searched & have no commands for these wrong actions.
Further Firefox properly does page bottom/top when Keyboard keys are used at same time.

Replaced End with {END} & Home with {HOME} & it worked. Silly mistakes

4) In firefox, Making "W" gesture opens new window whereas i have no such gesture in stroke+ settings?
Making Right Left-Right Gesture opened new private window, again there is no such gesture in settings
something surely is playing :(

5) is entering filename (in file name option) of an application in ignore list setting , enough & the most reliable way to completely blacklist that app from stroke+gestures?

6) Does training mode really add more impressions of a gesture in some database of kind and form a superimposed mean average gesture of kind ? Other than setting/gesture xml, i would like to take backup of that training too...what to do?

7)Can you explain a bit more on detail on match precision and match probability? I cant find much in help section. Frankly, i am having getting relatively more misses/wrong gestures (if not too many) as compared to FireGestures (Firefox addon), even after some 50 impression training.How many times approx. should i train 1 gesture for good training?
I wud like to fiddle with them after knowing about these settings

8) Does adding large no. of gestures/commands slows down stroke+ in any way? I am still with small bunch overall.

9) Do Application Actions govern over global actions, if gesture is same for both? I see the former happening. Normal?

10)Say a Gesture "L" has been recorded with 100 pixel vertical stroke and 50 pixel horizontal stroke (2:1 ratio here). Does S+ would be perfectly identify with a 200 pixel vertical and 100 pixel horizontal stroke for same gesture, with everything else same (like vertical/horizontal stroke angles etc) ? or does S+ wants gestures to be made in same size for proper identification?

11)Is there a way to disable a global gesture on specific application (which otherwise has its gestures and one of them "SOMEWHAT" matches 1 global gesture, causing unrequired actions when S+ implements global gesture instead) ?

Sorry if thats a lot more questions. i would be more of a bugger for you in future but surely that will be providing a lot of feedback & help you add more value to this freeware
I have a habit of raping a software for years, for its benefit ..lol (like i am doing to my Xp 64bit installation since 8yrs ...improving it day in and day out, faster than Win 7 too :P )

Edited by - Strokeman on 06/15/2014 07:19:17

gopikrish2000

34 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2014 :  03:45:29  Show Profile
@Strokeman - I'm using S+ from almost a year . I use firefox browser only with S+ . I have few inputs on your questions.

2) In Normal mode also firefox ALL gestures are working perfectly fine . I don't know why its not working for you .
3) can you try this acSendKeys("^{HOME}") instead of your acSendKeys("^HOME")
4) For more accuracy you should generally use Left Right Up Down LeftRightMid .. mixture gestures than the curves . If curve is not proper then based on the match precision it takes near gesture . So for that near gesture if you have a key combination , it can execute that . FireGestures doesn't has curves that's why its more accurate , you can do the same here as well.
5) Yes , as far as i know
7) Again as same as point 4 , use Left , Right , Up Down for best accuracy as possible .
8) I guess not

Edited by - gopikrish2000 on 06/14/2014 04:06:24
Go to Top of Page

Strokeman

33 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2014 :  03:55:24  Show Profile
Thanks for reply gopikrish
2)i actually had issues in private mode. Well believe me at one point they were not working. Just checked and they are working fine in private mode window too
3) yes i fixed that the same day, forgot editing the post. Just did. Silly me :P
4) i think you missed my point. I dont have any "W" gesture in firefox S+ node (not even in global actions node). still making gesture "W" opens a new window in FF
7) thank but i would like to know more on how rob has implemented matching and probability and training here. that understanding would help me avoid wasted/mismatched strokes

Just added 2 more questions at top.

Can you share screenshot of what all commands you use with S+ on Firefox (given u using it since long, must be quite an arsenal there :) ) ??
Also if you can share your XML (if without any passwords, etc). that would be nice
If you not a power user and haven't added much new commands, you need not bother though
Thanks

Edited by - Strokeman on 06/14/2014 04:04:38
Go to Top of Page

gopikrish2000

34 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2014 :  04:18:17  Show Profile
I previously use to use Firegestures (FG) only , Now i converted almost all functionality of FG in S+ itself . Few commands/shortcuts are not supported in default Firefox (FF). So i use tabmixplus and assign shortcut to what ever i require and in turn will provide a gesture to execute that shortcut .

I use S+ for lot of applications just copy for what ever you require . I even changed the global lua to edit in local files etc . Actions xml link at
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/169251534/Important/StrokePlus/StrokesPlus.xml

Note: assign what ever FF shortcuts not working with Tabmixplus addon

If you need any clarification , let me know. Also i don't like color to be displayed while gesture because it looks like magic if anyone else is looking at your laptop :)

Edited by - gopikrish2000 on 06/14/2014 04:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Strokeman

33 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  07:15:43  Show Profile
Yes i am doing the same now, converting to OS level gestures after using FG for some 5+yrs

I have tried tabmix+ once but that slows FF boot times back then. Are there other specific addons which do the same you mentioned "assign shortcut to what ever i require"?

Thanks for posting your xml, i got some NICE ideas from it :) (Some of your gestures were pretty long though like angled "S" thats a lot of strokes for doing something ) . I like my gestures to be as short as possible (and involved modifier keys for same(only of mouse as involing stuff like shift, ctrl means 2 hands, which aint cool)

can you explain a bit more " even changed the global lua to edit in local files etc"
I havent yet edited lua code and to be frank, i am yet to search what exactly that does. As of now i am more focused on implementing my so many firegestures to S+ and adding similar on OS level (explorer, media players and other common apps) for full features gesture controlled OS.

yea, without color would be nice. I plan to do that but only after i get used to all gestures and do training , etc

Looks like Rob is busy. I have added some more questions to first post. Can you have a look
Thanks for your time.

Edited by - Strokeman on 06/15/2014 07:21:48
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  11:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I'm out of town and in the middle of moving to a new house in the next two weeks. I'll chime in when I get some time.
Go to Top of Page

Strokeman

33 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  11:17:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rob

I'm out of town and in the middle of moving to a new house in the next two weeks. I'll chime in when I get some time.

Thanks for replyrob Alright, Cya later :)

P.S. anyway, u dont owe us anything, in fact we do ;-)
Go to Top of Page

gopikrish2000

34 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  05:13:35  Show Profile
May be Tabmixplus increase bit of load time ,Use of MemoryFox addon to decrease memory usage in Firefox . I don't mind little big gestures ( for rarely used gestures) but i mind a lot for 100% accuracy .

Few more on your points
9. Application gesture will override the global gesture. This is very useful feature.
10. No idea may be Rob need to answer that.
11. Similar to point 9 , create application in which you want nothing to happen and override global gesture which does nothing .

Last thing , if you are so addicted to S+ then you may struggle to work in any other laptop which doesn't have S+ :)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  11:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
1:
Win XP doesn't have the best layered window blending and functionality, if you try messing with the Keep Gesture Draw Window on Top and Don't Hide Gesture Draw Window settings to see if it's any better..but honestly, Vista+ handles the fullscreen gesture drawing surface window much better.

2:
Not sure, will have to test it out sometime.

4:
I know there is a gesture plug-in for Firefox, but not sure why that would be happening. I'm a Chrome user, so I'll have to mess around with it sometime.

5:
Yes. Every time you press the stroke button, S+ checks the window below the mouse and goes through each ignored window/app definition to see if S+ should consume the mouse event or pass it along. Much like other areas, less ignored entries means better performance. For example, you could add all ignored apps to a single entry and define the EXE names in a single File Name Pattern regex qualifier.

6:
Yes, every time you train a gesture, it adds a point pattern entry to StrokesPlus.xml. When S+ is evaluating a drawn gesture, it compares it against all trained gestures and returns the name of the gesture with the highest match percentage. That being said, the more gestures you have (included multiple of the same you've trained), the longer S+ will take to evaluate the drawn gesture. So, unless you really need to differentiate two somewhat similar gestures, don't go crazy adding more and more training.

StrokesPlus.xml stores all gestures in an XML node named <Gestures></Gestures>; there's no easy way to back it up independently other than to open it up in a text editer and copy out the entire node. If you have a pasword set, just set it to nothing to decrypt the file so you can view it.

7:
See 10 below, though I rarely ever have a miss, so I'm not sure why you seem to be having issues. However, as stated in 10 below, you probably have way to many trained point patterns than necessary and may be leading to more uncertainty in matching. To reset the gesture, simply delete and recreate it.

8:
Yes, more gestures and more training will gradually impact performance

9:
Yes, S+ first processes all Application Actions (only for the application below the mouse, if it has been defined in S+), then if there's no match, check for a matching action in Global.

10:
If the number of points drawn in the gesture is < 100, S+ interpolates the points drawn so it is 100 point segments.

Then it compares the drawn gesture against the saved gestures based on angular data. But as stated on the forum and in the About tab, the gesture recognition algorithm was conceived and developed by Dylan Vester for the High Sign project. I joined him on the project, but then I splintered off to create S+ as High Sign was a lot heavier being written in C#, where I felt it should be super light and written in C/C++.

That being said, all I did was port the C# code to C, so you're welcome at any time to view the code in the open source High Sign project to see exactly how it works.
Go to Top of Page

Strokeman

33 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  15:02:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gopikrish2000

May be Tabmixplus increase bit of load time ,Use of MemoryFox addon to decrease memory usage in Firefox . I don't mind little big gestures ( for rarely used gestures) but i mind a lot for 100% accuracy .

Few more on your points
9. Application gesture will override the global gesture. This is very useful feature.
10. No idea may be Rob need to answer that.
11. Similar to point 9 , create application in which you want nothing to happen and override global gesture which does nothing .

Last thing , if you are so addicted to S+ then you may struggle to work in any other laptop which doesn't have S+ :)

Thanks gopi, i tried memoryfox as i am really short on memory running multiple FFox profiles and VirtualMachines and adding more addons add to that. But memoryfox professional which that addon author advises for XP Pro 64bit is giving me some error running (have emailed him, lets see)

11) thanks for the idea. Say i have "e" gesture in Firefox and similar "c" globally . As e can wrongly be drawn as c something in hurry, u mean that i create the same gesture entry under that application category and add nothing in its code. That way Though S+ will see that gesture it has nothing to perform/execute.

Thou i am Desktop guy rather than laptop guy (lappys can never compete with desky performance esp now with supercompact deskies :P)& rarely use other pc's, i did find it irritating when i am subconsciously making gestures with right clicks and seeing nothing is happening ..lol (i better, always, keep s+ software and settings updated in my pendrive ready )
Thanks

Edited by - Strokeman on 06/28/2014 15:27:36
Go to Top of Page

Strokeman

33 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  15:38:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rob

1:
Win XP doesn't have the best layered window blending and functionality, if you try messing with the Keep Gesture Draw Window on Top and Don't Hide Gesture Draw Window settings to see if it's any better..but honestly, Vista+ handles the fullscreen gesture drawing surface window much better.

2:
Not sure, will have to test it out sometime.

4:
I know there is a gesture plug-in for Firefox, but not sure why that would be happening. I'm a Chrome user, so I'll have to mess around with it sometime.

5:
Yes. Every time you press the stroke button, S+ checks the window below the mouse and goes through each ignored window/app definition to see if S+ should consume the mouse event or pass it along. Much like other areas, less ignored entries means better performance. For example, you could add all ignored apps to a single entry and define the EXE names in a single File Name Pattern regex qualifier.

6:
Yes, every time you train a gesture, it adds a point pattern entry to StrokesPlus.xml. When S+ is evaluating a drawn gesture, it compares it against all trained gestures and returns the name of the gesture with the highest match percentage. That being said, the more gestures you have (included multiple of the same you've trained), the longer S+ will take to evaluate the drawn gesture. So, unless you really need to differentiate two somewhat similar gestures, don't go crazy adding more and more training.

StrokesPlus.xml stores all gestures in an XML node named <Gestures></Gestures>; there's no easy way to back it up independently other than to open it up in a text editer and copy out the entire node. If you have a pasword set, just set it to nothing to decrypt the file so you can view it.

7:
See 10 below, though I rarely ever have a miss, so I'm not sure why you seem to be having issues. However, as stated in 10 below, you probably have way to many trained point patterns than necessary and may be leading to more uncertainty in matching. To reset the gesture, simply delete and recreate it.

8:
Yes, more gestures and more training will gradually impact performance

9:
Yes, S+ first processes all Application Actions (only for the application below the mouse, if it has been defined in S+), then if there's no match, check for a matching action in Global.

10:
If the number of points drawn in the gesture is < 100, S+ interpolates the points drawn so it is 100 point segments.

Then it compares the drawn gesture against the saved gestures based on angular data. But as stated on the forum and in the About tab, the gesture recognition algorithm was conceived and developed by Dylan Vester for the High Sign project. I joined him on the project, but then I splintered off to create S+ as High Sign was a lot heavier being written in C#, where I felt it should be super light and written in C/C++.

That being said, all I did was port the C# code to C, so you're welcome at any time to view the code in the open source High Sign project to see exactly how it works.

Thanks rob for your time posting such a lengthy post. Appreciate it:)
1). Gr8 problem gone. I unchecked "Keep Gesture Draw Window on Top" and wallah.. things are quick. Then i also unchecked "Don't Hide Gesture Draw Window" though didnt see any difference. I read about them in "help" section but NOT quite sure abt their use. Will keep them like this as of now

2.forget it, now its working. DOnt know what was earlier.

4. forget this too. Seems fixed now. i must have screwed something earlier :P

6. I see .So i take it that users should prolly try say 5-20 times max per gesture for training and train the best & exactly like they will draw a gesture during regular usage times.ok

10. Thanks for the detail. Though i am having lesser misses now, i will check out the high sign project , whenever i get time. Indeed you did right porting it to C. Heavy and slower apps wud never appeal to some1 using gestures, IMO

I have some similar tid-bit queries, i think better keep them here rather than making a new thread time and again. Kindly reply whenever u get time . no hurry

12)While fiddling once , i received some "Registry hotkey error 1409" dialog box , twice (one after another). I restarted stroke+ and its fine till now. What can be that?

13) Gestures not working on flash like sites. Just saw another SIMILAR topic posted there
http://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic/332/how-to-send-hotkey-to-firefox-when-flash-has-focus

14)Have same "W"gesture for 2 things - opening winamp & searching a selected word (in firefox window) on wikipedia
What code should i add in gesture so that winamp only fires if no text is selected on a webpage, otherwise it goes ahead and searches wiki?

15) Further whenever i run Winamp from gesture, its window is missing in taskbar whereas its not the case if i run winamp from its icon . I also noticed that opening winamp via gesture opens its process as child of S+ process( checked in process explorer). is that the reason? if so how can i fix this?

Thanks a lot, again

P.S.
Gesture productivity rocks
. Just installed QTTabbar - a windows explorer tabbing utility & modifier and it has many keyboard shortcut options to fiddle with....more gestures for S+ :D ..loving it
Only thing is i shd remember new gestures..lol

Edited by - Strokeman on 07/02/2014 15:15:56
Go to Top of Page

iyhk

8 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2014 :  03:47:36  Show Profile
quote:
14)Have same "W"gesture for 2 things - opening winamp & searching a selected word (in firefox window) on wikipedia
What code should i add in gesture so that winamp only fires if no text is selected on a webpage, otherwise it goes ahead and searches wiki?

local tt = acGetClipboardText()
acSetClipboardText("")
acSendKeys("^c")
if acGetClipboardText() == "" then
-- open winamp
else
-- search wiki
end
acSetClipboardText(tt)

Edited by - iyhk on 07/06/2014 03:48:16
Go to Top of Page

Strokeman

33 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  09:52:38  Show Profile
Sorry for late reply. (some important mess in life)
Thanks . That worked

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000