Breaking and misinterpreting gestures
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boombyte

Croatia
18 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  05:25:23  Show Profile
There is a nasty bug which renders S+ practically unusable.
When gesture is drawn by holding down gesture button, S+ cancels drawing by itself and interprets the unfinished part of the gesture. It's like it releases my gesture button (button-up event) by force, even while I'm still holding it down. Sometimes it breaks the gesture, executes an action over the first part, and then continues to draw until I truly release the gesture button, then taking action on the second part.

Example:
If my gesture is "Down-Right" or "L", it breaks it into "down" and "right", executing actions for both "down" and "right", instead of the one action for "down-right".

I have reproduced this bug on Win7 SP1 with versions 2.8.2.0 and 2.7.4. I couldn't try older versions since the links in download section are dead.

boombyte

Croatia
18 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  05:41:01  Show Profile
I have analyzed this a bit more and found out that often S+ breaks my gesture executing actions, then resuming drawing several times before finally giving up. This is looks like it sends button-up event, fires an action, then relays mouse click and pauses, then sends button_down event and continues to draw, then button-up and action again, etc. I'm still holding my gesture button down when this happens. Parts of the broken gestures are left on the draw window.

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  11:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I only have so much disk space on my VPS, so I have to clean out the older downloads.

Someone had a very similar problem before and it turned out their mouse was actually bad; the right button would intermittently not "stay pressed down" even though he was holding it.

Not saying that's the case for you, but I would imagine there would be a lot more people complaining. Try a different mouse, just to see if it's any different.
Go to Top of Page

boombyte

Croatia
18 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  05:33:33  Show Profile
I never had this problem until relatively recently, after some time of using the latest version. So it shouldn't be the problem with the new version of SP, because the bug persists over older versions too (I tried 2.7.4 portable version, though).

I use Logitech G700 mouse (a good one) on two laptops with the same Logitech SW and configuration I've had for years and I even tried a different mouse. The bug persists, so it's not a mouse problem. On older laptop the bug started to appear a couple of months ago, but I've been neglecting it; I thought it was either a crammed OS or some recent Firefox/plugin update that's been causing problems. The bug sometimes hides, and sometimes becomes more aggressive, so I suspected a process CPU management issue (?)

Anyway, on the newer laptop with more powerful CPU and more available memory, I installed Windows 7 a week ago, with minimal driver/application load, but fresh Windows updates. The bug reappeared couple of days ago more aggressive than ever. The gestures get cut after ~300ms and gesture recognition goes nuts as I described above. I am thinking Windows Update could be the source of this issue, but on the other laptop it's switched off the whole time (back from when there wasn't any issue with SP).

I just hope we can trace this problem.

Edit:
OK, this is really strange. I just came to work (newer laptop) and it seems it's working fine again.

Edited by - boombyte on 06/17/2014 05:55:49
Go to Top of Page

boombyte

Croatia
18 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2014 :  07:36:07  Show Profile
I don't understand. The issue disappeared for straight two weeks (I didn't do anything) and now it's back again - on both computers. Please Rob, if you have any idea whatsoever about what could be causing this, let me know so I can try to isolate the problem.

Edited by - boombyte on 07/01/2014 11:04:36
Go to Top of Page

boombyte

Croatia
18 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  05:52:18  Show Profile
I apologize Rob, it's the damn mouse after all! My right button skips when I hold it down and wobble it a bit, but it's been difficult to reproduce this until some days ago. Weird thing is, it happened with another mouse too, but the faulty one was plugged in at the same time, so maybe it interfered. Even though the G700 isn't cheap, I'm glad that it's the mouse that is causing the problem because I can live with another mouse (and less buttons), but I couldn't live without S+
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000