Modifier key gets stuck

Printed from: StrokesPlus Forum
Topic URL: https://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1403
Printed on: 04/18/2024

Topic:

Topic author: Surenpahlav
Subject: Modifier key gets stuck
Posted on: 08/14/2019 02:46:23
Something happened a few days ago with windows that made this happen, probably a windows update. When I gesture something, sometimes the modifier keys get stuck on down state. I have to press the Alt or Ctrl key to be able to use my keyboard again.

This happened before with not just S+, but also with Autohotkey scripts, and basically every other hotkey setting app I have, but very seldom. These few days it happens like 7 out of 10 times when i use gestures.

Replies:

Reply author: Rob
Replied on: 08/14/2019 14:53:24
To be honest, I would try a different keyboard before spending any time troubleshooting.
I have had keyboards do this before, and mice where the button switch triggers multiple clicks near instantly when pressing the button down.

Reply author: Surenpahlav
Replied on: 08/17/2019 10:19:16
I tried another keyboard as you suggested, sadly the same thing happens randomly.

Something that's new this time around, as in when this all started a couple of weeks ago, is that the context menu sometimes pops up when gesturing. It happens after the gesture is finished. But this is much less of an annoyance than the freezing of the modifier down states.

Replied on: 08/17/2019 10:22:02
Might also try a different mouse.

Something funky is going on, but the code hasn't changed in years, so it would seem something else is going on.

That's a tough one to troubleshoot, for sure.

Replied on: 08/25/2019 16:52:20
I tested it with an identical mouse which I borrowed from my mom (Logitech g900). All the issues went away. There was a new problem with it too, hitting the back button would go back twice. But anyway even this got fixed with the other mouse.

However my own mouse didn't have any problems in my mom's PC. None of the issues happened there.

Turns out deleting the mouse profiles in logitech's driver (LGS) and redoing them fixes this issue.

I always have had the problem of modifier keys getting stuck on down state though, even before I got this mouse. But it happened seldom, not like this time.

Anyway the problem is fixed, thanks.

Replied on: 02/24/2020 02:56:52
Turns out the problem didn't get fixed after all. After a couple of weeks with the identical mouse the same exact problems returned. I've been living with this torture for months now. Can barely gesture anything without a modifier getting stuck, then have to push them all once, sometimes twice to get it fixed.

Obviously there is a problem with the mouse itself, but probably in combination with something in windows. I've given up on fixing the mouse, is there any workaround for this? Something I can do to automatically nullify the stuck modifiers after every gesture?

Replied on: 02/25/2020 12:32:04
You can try checking the Allow After Release Script option in Preferences, then in the Global Lua, add this function. MAKE SURE if the function sp_after_release is already there that you don't paste this whole function in, just take the middle lines where it's sending the up keys

function sp_after_release()
  acSendControlUp()
  acSendShiftUp()
  acSendAltUp()
end
This will simply send the Control/Alt/Shift up keys events. Not sure if it wil resolve your issue, but it's worth a shot I suppose.

Replied on: 02/27/2020 07:59:36
It seems to be working so far, crossing my fingers.

Replied on: 03/24/2020 01:26:27
Sadly it doesn't work. The modifiers randomly get stuck. It's like 1 day they get stuck a lot, another day not at all.

Also why can't I post a topic in the new strokesplus.net site? The new S+ app is out of proportions in my screen resolution (4k). Some options and writings are cut out.

Reply author: Hard.Wired
Replied on: 03/26/2020 19:25:03
I wonder if this is related to the issue I had here:
https://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic/1416/latest-windows-10-update-stroke-button-issues

My fix was a PITA and it had nothing to do with an S+ problem.

{edit} noticed you already tried on another machine {/edit}

Also, does the mouse have its latest firmware updated, not just its drivers?

Replied on: 03/27/2020 01:52:24
Yea the firmware is the latest. I read your problem, I hope yours fixes but these things have a way of disappearing for a short period then coming back with a vengeance. My problem appeared suddenly and never went away, I think a windows update caused it.

Replied on: 03/27/2020 22:09:13
I hope not.

Hmm, did you try running your custom profiles on the other computer? Could be a glitch in the Logitech implementation of a setting.

Another thing you could look for is some other software running in the background that might be in conflict with S+, say something like AutoHotKey.

Also, what about Windows "sticky keys" settings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_keys

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-key-stuck-down-not-physically/42a9ccd3-5362-4930-98e1-257c5b4ae668

Replied on: 03/30/2020 09:09:47
Ya i tried the custom profiles, and autohotkey. And i dont got sticky keys enabled. But I'll give that microsoft forum topic a shot. Thanks for the info. Should also mention that the new strokesplus from the new site doesn't seem to have this problem, i tried that for a few hours, nothing got stuck.

Replied on: 03/31/2020 00:02:38
Could you post the code and settings for the gesture(s) that are causing the problem? Or is it ALL gestures?

Just making sure we rule out other possibilities.

Replied on: 04/02/2020 08:36:11
It's basically any gesture. But as I spend most of my time in Firefox, it's mostly the firefox gestures, like close tab, go home, new tab, etc. I added an extra modifier up line to try fix the issue long ago, but they don't do anything.

acSendControlDown()
acSendKeys("w")
acSendControlUp()
acSendControlUp()

acSendAltDown()
acSendKeys("{Home}")
acSendAltUp()
acSendAltUp()

acSendControlDown()
acSendKeys("t")
acSendControlUp()
acSendControlUp()

Replied on: 04/04/2020 03:45:33
By chance are you using any Control/Alt/Shift "Key Modifiers" in combination with the "Gestures" to initiate the Actions?

Replied on: 04/04/2020 16:14:00
If i physically press a modifier in combination with the gestures? No.

Replied on: 04/07/2020 12:24:29
Hmm, I'm at a loss right now then. I keep pondering it.

Replied on: 04/08/2020 19:49:19
Ya me too, a combination of faulty mouse drivers and something they changed to windows in an update is my best guess...

Replied on: 04/13/2020 18:11:33
Well, like a said earlier, the only thing that worked for my other issue was to uninstall/reinstall the recent windows updates and uninstall/reinstall all related bluetooth/mouse drivers.

Microsoft has had buggy updates recently, so who knows.

Reply author: Orcus
Replied on: 08/17/2020 03:29:13
I had the same issue and imho it is the problem of chattering mouse button.

StrokesPlus Forum : https://www.strokesplus.com/forum/

© 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk

Close Window