Open sound setting on: app volume and device
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eien

5 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  14:54:26  Show Profile
Hello Rob!

Thank you for making such a great and usefull app.

There's this new setting in windows 10 that allows you to select a different output per app and i've found myself using it quite a lot but it takes quite a few click to open it each time.

I've tried those ideas after some research on the web but they didn't work quite like i wanted:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/8ggozl/1803_volume_mixer_shortcut_name/ br /

I'm looking for a way to open it with a gesture on strokes plus but this is way over my head. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  15:59:58  Show Profile
Assign this code to your stroke...

acShellExecute("open", "ms-settings:sound", "", "", 1)
acDelay(1000)
acSendKeys("{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB} ")

Keep in mind that acDelay may need more time for slower computers. The number of tabs is dependent on the current user interface layout which may change with future versions of Windows.

Alternatively, you can still use the old style Volume Mixer by right clicking on the task tray sound icon and selecting "Open Volume Mixer". Personally, I hope Microsoft doesn't completely get rid of the old method or replaces it with something quicker and more convenient.

Edited by - Hard.Wired on 10/27/2018 16:07:12
Go to Top of Page

Eien

5 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2018 :  17:32:50  Show Profile
Hi Hard.Wired!

Thank you for helping!

I've tried to assign the code you've given me to a stroke but like you've said it didn't work at first on my inteface layout so i've tried to add empirically other keyboards imputs and this one has sort of worked:

acShellExecute("open", "ms-settings:sound", "", "", 1)
acDelay(500)
acSendKeys("{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{ENTER}")

So it's working but it's a bit messy as it opens the sound setting window just before opening the window i want to open (app volume and device).

I don't think the old mixer allow to chose a different sound output for each app but there's an app on the windows store named eartrumpet that brings this option on the system tray.

I'm using a dual screen set up (computer + TV) so it's just more convinient when you are far from the screen to do a stroke and have the window pop up instead of going to the systray.

Edited by - Eien on 10/28/2018 05:31:44
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  15:39:40  Show Profile
I don't know of a way do get directly to the "App volume and device preferences" page without activating the Sound page first (via URI). I haven't had time to play with Windows 10 1809 yet, but maybe they will add a direct link in the future.

FYI, here is a link to URIs as of 1803:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/launch-resume/launch-settings-app
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2018 :  15:49:57  Show Profile
One thing I will add, which isn't said often enough, is that if your stroke also uses a keys such as (Ctrl, Shift, Alt, Windows) to initiate it and you are still holding those keys while the script commands are firing off, it can modify things (i.e. Tab becomes Ctrl+Tab). If this kind of thing seems to be happening, you may need to release your stroke activation keys (i.e. acSendControlUp() releases Ctrl) before your script starts processing your intentions.
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  20:56:10  Show Profile
Well Eien, it looks like you may soon get something you might like:

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-is-deprecating-the-old-windows-volume-mixer/
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  21:10:29  Show Profile
Also, have you tried EarTrumpet?
Go to Top of Page

Eien

5 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  10:16:04  Show Profile
Hi Hard.Wired!

Thanks for the link. You're right, i would very much like this because it would solve my issue with the volme mixer. And i think the script: acShellExecute("open", "ms-settings:sound", "", "", 1) would be enough to do what i want.

Yes i have tried Ear trumpet. (It's on the reddit thread gathering ideas and workarounds to easily open "App volume and device preferences" i've posted with my request.

The app has a nice volume mixer that pops up when clicking on: "EarTrumpet volume mixer" after right clicking the ear trumpet icon on the system tray (it's the same icon as the original windows volume mixer so it can be confusing because when installed there are two sound icons in the systray and they look the same.
I've tried to find a way to lauch Ear trumpet volume mixer window with strokesplus but i coudn't. It looks like you have to be the proprietary of the app to be able to acess the .exe allowing you to launch the volume mixer.

Anyway Microsoft is planning on giving us something way cleaner so i'll wait for the update.

Thanks again for your help and for all your very relevant insight to find an answer to my question.

Go to Top of Page

nober

29 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2018 :  04:13:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hard.Wired

One thing I will add, which isn't said often enough, is that if your stroke also uses a keys such as (Ctrl, Shift, Alt, Windows) to initiate it and you are still holding those keys while the script commands are firing off, it can modify things (i.e. Tab becomes Ctrl+Tab). If this kind of thing seems to be happening, you may need to release your stroke activation keys (i.e. acSendControlUp() releases Ctrl) before your script starts processing your intentions.

This kind of thing may be avoided by introducing a delay at the beginning of the script, for example, adding the line
acDelay(500)
to the top of the Hotkeys script.
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  04:41:14  Show Profile
While we wait for the new Windows 10 mixer, I found this settings shortcut:

acShellExecute("open", "ms-settings:apps-volume", "", "", 1)

It takes you right to the App Volume mixer page in Settings.

I found it in this list:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/78214-settings-pages-list-uri-shortcuts-windows-10-a.html

Edited by - Hard.Wired on 03/27/2020 04:43:16
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  20:07:40  Show Profile
Just an FYI on the topic. Eartrumpet has had a few tweaks and updates. Very nice...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/eartrumpet/9nblggh516xp?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Go to Top of Page

Eien

5 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2020 :  10:11:17  Show Profile
Hi,

Thank you for The FYI... I really like eartrumpet!

Do you know how to proceed (i mean the command to apply in strokes plus) to open eartrumpet volume mixer with a gesture? https://i.postimg.cc/PrrKNmfT/Capture5.png

Edited by - Eien on 11/30/2020 10:13:37
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  17:15:21  Show Profile
Depends on what you have the custom keyboard shortcut key set to in Eartrumpet. I wanted mine to be odd and not conflict with other shortcuts so I set it to be Windows-Backslash... [Windows][\]

So in S+, this command would create that key combination...

acSendKeys("@\")

Go to Top of Page

Eien

5 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2020 :  07:33:50  Show Profile
Hi,
Thank you for posting that FYI.
I didn't even notice we could assign keyboard shortcuts in eartrumpet now... it's awesome!

Edit: I've noticed that eartrumpet doesn't show some apps sometimes so i've decided to revert back to windows 10 native feature by using this command:
acShellExecute("open", "ms-settings:apps-volume", "", "", 1)

Edited by - Eien on 01/15/2021 16:46:57
Go to Top of Page

Hard.Wired

84 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2021 :  16:44:21  Show Profile
Another possibility is Volumey. I haven't tried it, but it does look similar to Eartrumpet with interesting hotkey options.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/volumey/9mzcq03mx0s3#activetab=pivot:overviewtab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000