Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  16:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Added in 1.1.2:

Experimental key Stroke button option. This allows you to specify Control, Alt, or Shift as the Stroke button instead of a mouse button. For example, hold Alt and move the mouse to draw gestures. This is not an ideal configuration as it interferes with common program functions which require pressing Control, Alt, or Shift. For instance, if you have Control defined as the Stroke button, pressing CTRL+S in an application will not fire unless you let the Cancel Delay run out; e.g. press CTRL, wait until the Cancel Delay expires, then (while still holding CTRL) press S to Save the file. As such, this feature is experimental, not-supported, undocumented in the help, and not available to select via the interface as I don't want to make it appear as something one would typically want to select, as well as to prevent user frustration and confusion. I've no problem addressing issues with this feature and will do my best to make it as functional as possible without disrupting the core mouse button and program functionality, but it is not be something which will be considered a standard feature nor priority.

Ok, now that the disclaimer is out of the way, here's how to enable the feature:

1. Edit StrokesPlus.xml
2. Locate the <MouseButton> element
3. Enter one of the following negative values to specify the desired Stroke key:
Control key: -1
Alt key: -2
Shift key: -3
4. Save the config file
5. Select Reload Config from the S+ tray icon, or open S+ if it wasn't running

Note that S+ saves the config file when you exit the program, so if you edit and save the file, then exit S+, it will be overwritten with the settings which S+ had loaded in memory.

Make sure to consider what ignore key you have defined..if the Stroke key and ignore key are the same, nothing will happen (surprise!). Also keep in mind that I'm not disabling the corresponding key modifier in the Actions window. So if you have Control set as the Stroke key, selecting Control as a key modifier for an action will result in the action never firing since the Stroke key cannot also be part of an action modifier.

You may still use the Preferences window to update other settings, saving the Preferences without a Stroke button selected in the window will not cause an error nor overwrite your manual Stroke key setting.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  01:48:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I highly recommend not using Shift (-3) as a Stroke key; think of how often you press Shift while typing. Additionally, maintaining and relaying the Shift state on gesture cancel isn't working well at all. I'm sure I'll revisit, but for now, just don't use Shift.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  03:34:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Note that beginning in 1.2.6, Control and Alt may be selected in the UI via the tray menu or in the Preferences window.

Shift (-3) will still technically function, but it's not shown because it's not a very ideal configuration.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000