New Bugs
 no gestures in normal mode
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kklepper

5 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  14:51:50  Show Profile
I used StrokeIt for years (with Wacom pen). Unfortunately, in Windows 10, the program resides both in the taskbar and the tray. That's why I was looking for alternatives.

StrokesPlus worked great after installation, and although it was impossible to import my StrokeIt gestures library, writing Lua scripts looked very promising. Alas, after restart and protest about StrokeIt running, StrokesPlus could not be persuaded to behave normally.

Of course, StrokeIt has been disabled, restarts have been performed, nothing helps. Training mode works as expected, reloading config and Lua engine doesn't help. What can I do?

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  20:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Okay, let's start with some specifics. What exactly is (or isn't) happening?
Go to Top of Page

kklepper

5 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  03:00:34  Show Profile
I see no gesture and no action is triggered in normal working mode, as if the program wasn't running - simple as that.

StrokesPlus is started automatically at startup, its icon sits in the tray, left and right click on the icon work as they should, training mode works. I checked and unchecked the boxes regarding the drawing windows, to no avail.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  03:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I'd be curious to see your StrokesPlus.xml file, located in your AppData folder (C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\StrokesPlus) unless you're running in portable mode or manually specifying a path.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  03:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Oh yea, email to me @ rob [at] strokesplus {dot} com
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  03:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
From the file you sent, the issues I see are the highlighted preferences below:

Updated to these, and it seems to work fine:

Match Precision and Match Probability being set to 0 was probably the biggest issue. However, while Cancel Delay was not the primary culprit, 50ms is pretty fast, combined with Reset Cancel Delay On Movement/Modifier being unchecked really gave you about an impossible window of time to actually draw a gesture.

This is all of course assuming that you intentionally set things up this way. Based on the sheer number of things that were zeroed out (checks, color, match precision, etc.) or set to their minimum values that S+ overrides, it almost seems like something went wrong during the save process for your preferences. But maybe you did set everything that way, either way, the changes in my second image do result in functional operation, but with a pretty much invisible draw line.

I have actually had 1 person have their preferences zeroed out like this before, but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue.

If you didn't do this on purpose and only changed 1 gesture, you could simply download the portable version and overwrite your StrokesPlus.xml with the original and change your 1 gesture.

Go to Top of Page

kklepper

5 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  10:39:34  Show Profile
Thank you very much. This seems sensible, but I did not change preferences and then the problems occurred, but the other way around: the problem was first and then I looked at the preferences.

Also, changing to your values does not help.

Next I downloaded the zip, copied the xml file and reloaded the config file. Nothing. Uninstalled StrokeIt. Nope (no surprise, didn't run anyway). So finally I uninstalled StrokesPlus also with ReboUninstaller, restarted my machine and installed StrokesPlus again.

Great, gestures were drawn and as a test I minimized a program window. Next I checked training mode and drew my reverse C. I was called to name that gesture. Next I wondered how to add functionality to this. I managed to open the program window and expected to see my new gesture, but this was not the case. Instead, all the Lua instructions were missing. I was puzzled, as I knew they should be there. I opened the next tab and switched back and now the scripts were shown.

With the configure actions tab open, I rechecked training mode, redrew my new gesture and it was shown again with my label, but still didn't appear in the list of actions. It was so easy the first time, wasn't it?

Now I detected the new button, repeated the whole process and was shown the following in the Lua area:

sends the Previous Track key command (same
-- as pressing the Previous Track button on a multimedia
-- keyboard

acSendKeys("{MEDIAPREVTRACK}")

Now this looked like I was going to overwrite an already existing gesture, but I couldn't find the appropriate Previous Track, and indeed my gesture was the first in the list, labeled "Application - Cycle Open Apps" with the above text, which is identical to "Media - Last Track". My label is shown in the right hand side, however.

Thinking about it, I might not have understood the new button. Maybe it is meant to attach a new gesture to an already existing action.

So I chose add action, gave it my name, clicked the new button, drew my gesture which was recognized, and now I could see that it was attached to the new action with an empty Lua area to which I wrote acSendKeys("^{F_4}").

I then switched to another application with several tabs open, drew my gesture and realized that I was still in training mode. So I unchecked that, tried again, nothing happened. I switched back to the definition window, realized that I should have pressed apply first, switched back and the gesture worked as intended.

As far as I understand it now, training mode is not intended to define new actions, which I totally misunderstood. Well actually I now see there is a help button which I should have pressed in the first place, right? I did that the first time but forgot about it in the meantime due to all these troubles.

Whatever the original problem was, I have no idea. Maybe I am able to reproduce it later, as I work my way through StrokesPlus to adopt it to my needs. If so, I will come back to you.

So far, thank you very much for your marvelous program and your kind support.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  10:43:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Yea, S+ isn't exactly the most user-friendly, I'll admit that. User interface stuff is time-consuming and since I'm not charging (and am a function focused person), it's not something that receives much attention.

The new version I'm (slowly) working on will (hopefully) be a bit more friendly.
Go to Top of Page

kklepper

5 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  11:48:16  Show Profile
Don't take me wrong, I didn't mean to criticize you. I guess the main point was that I didn't understand what training mode really is for.

After I sent my last reply, I realized that I had opened the configuration window twice which introduced some garbage (I would think about disabling that). So I overwrote the 2 configuration files with your default files, and as I now understood how to do what I wanted, it was all straightforward.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so verbose in the first place. After all, who is interested in all my errors and detours? But who knows what this is good for?
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  11:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Oh I didn't take any offense, just stating the obvious that I'm aware the learning curve is steep for new users :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000