Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Opening selected text in reedy (chrome extension)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markmacare

1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  09:16:44  Show Profile
Hi Rob, all,

First of all, thanks for a fantastic application! It is a life-saver!

I am looking for some help with the following: I am using a chrome extension for speed reading called "Reedy", which offers an offline page to cut&paste text into for speed reading. In my case, the address is "chrome-extension://ihbdojmggkmjbhfflnchljfkgdhokffj/offline.html"

How could I set up a gesture to have selected text copied into this page and start speed reading?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Mark

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  16:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Well, I'm not familiar with that extension, but the first step with automation is always to find out what you can do with the keyboard and mouse, then you attempt to replicate those steps in a script. It can be pretty straight-forward, it can be complex, or (in some cases) impossible...though I tend to think the latter is very, very rarely the case.

So, detail the steps here, for example:
- manually highlight the selected text (won't be part of script)
- Press CTRL+C to copy text
- Press CTRL+T to open a new tab
- Press CTRL+L to switch to the address/search bar
- Type the ful URL of the extension
- Press Enter
- Press CTRL+V to paste

If that sequence works, then it's just a matter of simulating the steps in a script, which I can assist with if you can't put the pieces together. At the end of the day, if you can reproduce the keyboard and mouse events to achieve the goal, you can most likely automate it in a gesture. So long as there isn't a specific type of mouse interaction that can't be determined. For example, it has to be a right-click or something in a specific area of the page that may not always be at the same coordinates; that can cause difficulties.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000