Last visited tab or toggle
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kindgesture

2 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2018 :  20:56:25  Show Profile
Hi. First time on here.

Is there a way to go back to the last visited tab on navigators (maybe I shouldn't specify since I think it should work in any window with tabs, shouldn't it?). I mean, to toggle between the current tab and the last visited one, unlike the built-in Window/Tab Previous action. BTW, what does the latter do in a window with no tabs. I just tried it and it seemingly does nothing.

Kind regards!

Don't you ever let...

Edited by - Kindgesture on 03/30/2018 21:07:34

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  07:55:27  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
The short answer is that there's no easy way to accomplish this directly from another program, like S+.

The reason is that S+ cannot really look inside the program and tell it what to do. For example, a web browser extension has a lot more power since it resides inside the program and has the ability to obtain and track detailed information which the the browser allows the extension to see.

For an external program, you're limited to what is visible outside of the program. Things like the window's title, finding certain controls/classes, etc. And then, you're fairly limited in how you can interact with that program, generally only mouse/keyboard emulation like sending a mouse click somewhere or sending a key combination.

So in this case, you could probably make a script that would achieve this...but it would be really ugly and not smooth/seamless. To start, you'd need to always keep track of the current window's title or have a gesture that simply tags/stores a window's title, then another gesture that would CTRL+TAB through each tab until it found a match on the title, then stop. You'd also need to make sure it didn't get stuck in an endless loop if there are no matches, etc.

Like I said, there really isn't something baked in that would make this a simple and fluid action, it would be sloppy and unreliable. Now, if you're able to find a browser extension which accomplishes this and supports a key combination to activate, you could install that and have S+ send the key combination to the browser so the extension would pick it up and switch tabs.
Go to Top of Page

Kindgesture

2 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  18:50:53  Show Profile
Thanks a lot for the reply and the existence of StrokesPlus.

Is LUA the language the script should be written in? (My coding knowledge is basic, hence my question.) But I think I'm going to pass for the reasons you mention and go for the extension.

And will StrokesPlus.net be able to achieve the aforementioned action?

Don't you ever let...
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  20:04:12  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Yes, S+ is Lua, while StrokesPlus.net uses JavaScript and the .NET framework.

While S+.net certainly exposes a lot more powerful scripting/programming options, it doesn't change the situation from my previous post. Looking inside of another program is very much intentionally something programs can't do, so it wouldn't become any easier.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000