Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

fug

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  16:29:42  Show Profile
Rob,

I have noticed that after stepping away from the computer for awhile (and the screen goes black) occasionally when I come back to it S+ is not working. This has happened today on two different machines. On my work PC, I could see S+ was running in taskmgr, but it was unresponsive and the icon was missing from the tray. On my home machine, S+ was no longer running at all. Note the machines are not hibernating, only the screen is powering off.

...just wanted to report this....

Any idea what would cause it?

the other Rob.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  16:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Not sure, I haven't had that happen. I may need to see if there are message that Windows sends for screen off or hibernate/resume. I'm guessing I may need to unhook the DLL if the system goes into a standy(-ish) state and re-hook on resume. Something along those lines.

I'll check it out, but it won't be for a couple days, away from the home computer with the source code and Visual Studio.

Moving this to Bugs forum.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  20:40:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Found some data on the power state broadcast messages Windows publishes. If the program doesn't handle and respond to these messages, Windows can interrupt the process, which is probably what's happening.

I'll add that logic and do some before/after test cases to see if I can duplicate and if the new code handles these state changes properly.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  10:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
For historical purposes, suspend/resume functionality was added in 1.3.8, but that doesn't address this bug.

However, I'm still unable to reproduce this issue. If anyone can provide repeatable steps to reproduce this issue, please post them here.
Go to Top of Page

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  22:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
I have never seen this happen. I am on XP and I regularly let the screen power off (no hibernating or stand-by).
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  04:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Me neither, and I always have the monitor in standby. I'm going to close this and see if it's reported again.
Go to Top of Page

fug

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  11:56:48  Show Profile
Rob, I still occasionally have this problem. It does not happen often at all, but it does still occur, on two different machines. S+ just simply stops running.

Possibly related, on this PC (work), S+ is currently running and functioning fine, but there is no icon in the tray. Therefore I cannot get to S+ settings, etc. Yes, I know to customize to "Show icon and notifications". But there is no icon.

My machines are running 24/7. This PC was rebooted earlier today.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  12:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Ok, I'll leave this open.

I wish I could reproduce the issue as I cannot think of any reason why you're experiencing this.

If you're reading this thread and have also experienced this, please leave a comment!

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  12:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Also, have you tried pressing CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+S to toggle hiding/showing the S+ tray icon? Just to see if that brings it back.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  09:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Out of very unlikely curiosity... I think you said you scheduled S+ to run as a scheduled task, right? What happens if you run S+ manually? I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it came to mind when I was looking at one of the Scheduled Task property pages where there's a checkbox to kill the task after NN amount of time if still running. I know, then why is it in the Task Manager..but just trying to eliminate variables. =)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  19:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
If that doesn't work, you may consider splashing the affected PC with holy water, or perhaps performing a full exorcism.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000