Completed Requests
 [COMPLETE] Modifiers: Enable hold before Gesture
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:16:08  Show Profile
I used StrokeIt before, if very user friendly, the en-user needn't any script knowledge, but S+ not. Hope it improve this later.

StrokeIt support hold modifier key before Gesture, for example:
If we set Control as modifier key, we can press Control, then move the mouse to draw the Gesture, after complete draw the Gesture, then the user can release the modifier key, then the program run the action.

S+ can't support this, so the end-user must quickly to press the key, but the end-user might can't press it in time, because the Gesture is short!

Hope we can improve this.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
StrokesPlus was written to be an advanced gesture engine, so it will always just be scripting; I fully intended for it to be different (more advanced) than StrokeIt. StrokeIt or Just Gestures may be the program of choice for those without scripting knowledge; so that part won't be changing.

The problem with the control modifier issue has to do with keyboard repeat delay. Meaning, if you press the control key slightly before pressing the Stroke mouse button, there's a delay until Window starts sending the repeat keys for control, so S+ cannot know it was pressed in this situation.

By repeat delay, I mean when you press a button like S and hold it down, the letter S is typed immediately, but after a half-second S will keep repeating quickly. To demonstrate this, press and hold control for 2 seconds, then make your quick/short gestures which have control set as a modifier. You'll see that it will work because Windows is sending the control key message many times in rapid succession. But when it's pressed just before the Stroke button, there's a delay (which you can change in the Control Panel->Keyboard) that must be reached before the key is repeated; until it's repeated, S+ will not know it was pressed.
Go to Top of Page

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:48:08  Show Profile
Script is OK, for me. :-)

So we might create a online script repo for the users who haven't script knowledge, and S+ can select an Luna script for the Gesture online.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Quite possibly =)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  00:56:46  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
To be clear regarding why this request was closed.

While it is possible for S+ to recognize the control key prior to the stroke button being pressed, it is not correct for S+ to assume anything prior to the stroke button being pressed as that is what signals that the user wants S+ to pay attention. Someone may press the control right before they pressed the stroke button, but did not want S+ to recognize the control key since it was before the stroke button was pressed.
Go to Top of Page

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:06:18  Show Profile
I'm afraid it can't works.
I test it with this, it not works:
1. Create an action, and set the script as
acSendKeys("{BEEP 1400 100}")
2. Set the Gesture as ->, modifier key is Control
3. Hold Control down, wait 2 or more seconds
4. Draw the Gesture ->
5. Release the Control
6. Nothing happened

As I know, the control keys like (Ctrl, Alt, Shift and so on) can't be repeat like other char keys(I.E. a, b, c...)
When we press the control keys it just set the Key mapping status as down.
We can using GetKeyboardState to detect the control key status.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob

StrokesPlus was written to be an advanced gesture engine, so it will always just be scripting; I fully intended for it to be different (more advanced) than StrokeIt. StrokeIt or Just Gestures may be the program of choice for those without scripting knowledge; so that part won't be changing.

The problem with the control modifier issue has to do with keyboard repeat delay. Meaning, if you press the control key slightly before pressing the Stroke mouse button, there's a delay until Window starts sending the repeat keys for control, so S+ cannot know it was pressed in this situation.

By repeat delay, I mean when you press a button like S and hold it down, the letter S is typed immediately, but after a half-second S will keep repeating quickly. To demonstrate this, press and hold control for 2 seconds, then make your quick/short gestures which have control set as a modifier. You'll see that it will work because Windows is sending the control key message many times in rapid succession. But when it's pressed just before the Stroke button, there's a delay (which you can change in the Control Panel->Keyboard) that must be reached before the key is repeated; until it's repeated, S+ will not know it was pressed.

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Hmm, I was able to reproduce your issue then tested the repeat delay.

On my system, S+ gets the repeat keys for control. However, it may be possible to check key state in a different way.. I'll look into it.
Go to Top of Page

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  22:16:47  Show Profile
I totally like S+ support this: Hold modifier key-down before stroke button
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  09:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Added option in Preferences Capture Modifiers on Stroke Button Down*. See release notes.
Go to Top of Page

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  13:29:22  Show Profile
Really good, fantastic.
For this Scenarios:
Set Alt as modifier,
Set Wheel up for increase vol action
set wheel down for decrease vol action
Now, we can hold Alt, and stroke button, then scroll up or down to set the vol as we want, so easily & smoothly.

Thanks. Good jobs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000