Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

breakcore

Russia
74 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  16:56:13  Show Profile
Hello!
I'm thinking to shift from SI to S+ and the main reason for that is absence of independent button gestures on SI. With S+ we can achieve that AFAIK by multiple instances. But is running the second instance of StrokesPlus the only option for being able to use for example right and middle (or/and any other) button gestures independently? It seems that implementing just a feature for that purpose won't require a huge code changing and would be really handy.
this images describe my idea:

this would give us even more freedom and so we can use any theoretically possible combinations.
(sorry, bad english, if any)

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  17:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Unfortunately, it's not at all as simple as you might think.

In order to do that, S+ would have to hook and capture every single one of those events, all the time. So when you press Control, S+ is going to capture it and wait to see if you're drawing a gesture or trying to fire and action. Same with the left button, every single time you would click the left button, S+ would capture it. To demonstrate how intrusive this would be, set your draw button to Left and use the computer for a while, every time you held down the left button to drag an icon or the scroll bar, S+ would start drawing a gesture and you'd have to wait for it to timeout in order to scroll the window.

There are also numerous internal challenges that are too many to list. Running multiple instances isn't really something I fully support/endorse either, but it technically works ok, with a couple exceptions.

Now, a more reasonable option would be to allow multiple capture mouse buttons, like Right and Middle. However, I would literally have to rewrite S+ to achieve this, which I really don't feel like doing for the few people who would really benefit from this. I hate to make a statement like that, but you can't please everyone =) Plus, this is a personal project, not how I make a living; if it truly were a modest code change, I would absolutely add that functionality in a heartbeat...unfortunately it's not simple at all.

I sincerely appreciate the feedback and your request!

Rob
Go to Top of Page

breakcore

Russia
74 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  05:19:02  Show Profile
Thank you for fast reply!
I have no programming background and can't see clearly the effort my request required and further difficulties it can create. So you can consider my request abstractly as a single user whim who will be satisfied if at least it be considered in the future. May be some day if radical changes are to be made in the program structure this feature in some form will suit just fine without causing any difficulties.
Anyway the capture of simultaneous right and middle buttons gives extra possibilities we lack in SI and seems to be the option i can get used to.
(sorry, bad english, if any)

Thank you!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kingron

39 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:54:39  Show Profile
Why do we need multi-instance for a gesture program?
I think it'll make confuse & conflict easily.

and most of the gesture program don't support multi stroke button, it let the user more memorizing and easily to confuse.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000