[PLANNED] Action Tree Icons
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  01:17:25  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Have different icons for actions which use keys or have no definition.

Noesis

25 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  23:39:08  Show Profile
As literally a first day user (after having used StrokeIt since the Win98 days) this would be a great feature to help understand what is going on at a glance.

Upon starting S+, one of the first things I noticed was what looked like the same gesture multiple times in the Global section, only to realise upon deeper inspection that some required a mouse button press at the end. Which is also a great feature in itself btw :)

Personally I wouldn't care if this was relevant to the mouse button needed or not just some indication that a button press is also required or is required in the case of no actual gesture (the grey cross) overlaying the current icon.

Also with regard to this, an indication of when an action isn't active would be very helpful also, i.e. a red circle with line through it overlaying the gesture icon (like the tray icon when S+ is disabled). This would also be essential IMHO for the implementation of unused "example" gestures you mentioned in another post regarding new users, as without a feature like this such examples would be counter-productive and confusing to a new user.

Anyway thanks for what seems to be a far superior replacement for StrokeIt :) (except for the lack of cut/copy/paste for gestures - that's about the only thing StrokeIt has over S+ from what I can see, but that isn't really relevant to this post - and I'm aware it's also on your todo list, just this one is more important IMHO)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  20:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
The only reason I hadn't already done this is due to the way the tree (and gesture dropdown) imagelist works. I build it once when the S+ window is opened, so in order for it to be more dynamic (which is what would be required here), I'd have to constantly manage the state of the image, redrawing on action changes, etc. Of course it can be done, just a pain in the ass, really

My availability to spend on time on S+ has been reduced dramatically, which is why I mentioned open sourcing it for others to work on. To be honest, I haven't done that yet because a) S+ is my baby, and it's hard to let her go ,b) I need the time to package everything up in a way which is usable/followable by others (it's a convoluted mess at the moment, where only I would know how to actually build it), and c) sometimes I make rash decisions, so I'm making sure enough time passes that I still feel comfortable/ready to step out of the picture.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000