[DEFERRED] Several gestures for 1 action
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beholder

60 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  17:36:28  Show Profile
Hey Rob,

So I did install S+ although a bit later than I originally planned. It is perfect, all I ever wanted (somehow Basshunter came to my mind).

HOWEVER,

I am not sure if I am so retarded or not, but I could not find a way how to add several gestures to one action; I had to work around this with several action - one per gesture. So now I have like 3 actions which are the same for one actual script action...

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  18:07:38  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Correct, only one gesture per action. I'm not understanding the use case for assigning multiple gestures to the same action, however. Can you give me a more thorough example so I can get a clearer picture of what you're trying to accomplish?
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  18:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Took me a minute on the Basshunter reference. Now I'm singing it in my head, which isn't a complaint; been a while since I've had that loop in my brain =)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  21:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Meaning, why do you want multiple gestures to do the same thing? Obviously there's a reason, but I'd like some additional info; sometimes I see things from a different perspective and can shed light on another approach. Or maybe you just want to have many drawings do the same thing, which is what I'm struggling to understand.

If there's no way around it, you could create a Lua function containing your script in StrokesPlus.lua and call it from the 3 actions. Doesn't really resolve anything other than centralizing the script into one place...which then has to be edited outside of S+ anyway...hmm.

Anyway, let me know what/why you're using that setup and I'll see if there's anything else I can think of/recommend. Though, adding support for multiple gestures to an action wouldn't be something that could be accomplished without major changes. At some point, I'm guessing I'll re-write S+, so these are the kinds of things I'll keep in mind if it seems like there's a valid reason.
Go to Top of Page

beholder

60 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:52:55  Show Profile
Well, sometimes your hand slips and your gesture is fked up. I try to compensate this with multiple similar gestures. For example, my "find" [ctrl+f] gesture, SI had it as ? without the dot. S+ didn't have one but it had V horizontally flipped (the conjunction operator in math).

So I created another gesture and now I had two, the V flipped and ? for the same action [ctrl+f]. Then I thought about it and realized that I need to add one more to this action, like right-down arrow. Because it's very similar. I think SI had this gestures grouping in its UI but I could not find it in S+ so I wrote here, I really didn't know if I am so stupid that I can't figure it out or it's really not there. Glad it's not there [=I am not stupid], actually.

It's not necessary to add this feature, I was just asking about it.. It can be easily worked around.

Another example is this: I am one of the few people on this fkin planet that can use mouse ambidextrously - with both hands. Call me Prot. (reference for Rob: http://tinyurl.com/dlk7wd) I simply do not care which side it's at and frequently switch sides as to not get RSI and shit. But when I am making the O gesture with the other hand, I might do it the other way around actually so that's why I needed to set up O gesture in both ways for the same action.

And I could go on and on. I have 2 paste gestures (sometimes my brain uses one gesture, sometimes another), 2 copy gestures, 3 find gestures, 2 select-all gestures.

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  08:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Ah, the coveted ambidextrous/still used to SI gestures demographic.

You do know that you can train the ? gesture if you want, right? I can't think of any way around the ambidextrous issue, however!

I know you're just asking and I appreciate all feedback; my line of questioning was just to make sure I wasn't missing something. It sounds like this is a very uncommon scenario which more involves the user mitigating their own behavior, and not a missing feature

Go to Top of Page

Hax

128 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  09:59:52  Show Profile
I agree with beholder. I miss that multiple gesture feature from SI.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Nobody asked you, Hax!

/just kidding
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  10:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Added it to the To Be Implemented forum.

http://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

Of course, that would be only for a S+ rewrite (2.0). It's not technically challenging, but the whole interface simply wasn't made for it. At all.
Go to Top of Page

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  17:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
While not a major issue, I would like to have this too. I used it in SI. But I don't miss it terribly now.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  19:14:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
See, this is one of close "clear consensus" issues which I could not in good conscious ignore. Like I said, it will have to wait for a UI overhaul, but will definitely add it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000