Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 About
 About StrokesPlus
 READ ME FIRST! (well, not so important anymore...)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  17:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
As of now, the interface and program flow isn't exactly the most intuitive, so here's a breakdown of how to get things going and what does what.

Gestures:

The download includes some gestures I've trained, but not a bunch. The first thing to do is enter Training Mode from the tray icon menu. Then draw gestures and give them names which are meaningful to you. If the gesture is already recognized, I don't generally recommend typing in a new name as it will cause the recognition to be unpredictable; unless you know the gesture is definitely different than the one recognized. Like a lower-case e can be recognized as a Z if each one only has one point pattern saved. So in that case, you'd draw the e, and SP may think it was a Z, you would enter "e" and it will help SP to realize the distinction between Z and e.

In the config XML file, there is a setting named MatchProbabilityThreshold which is set to 75 by default. This setting basically tells SP how "loose" or "strict" to be about the recognition. Meaning, 75 tells SP that the gesture drawn must be at least a 75% likelihood of a match. Increasing this number will reduce incorrect recognitions, but may also require you to train gestures more.

Actions:

In the actions window, you'll see a slew of checkboxes along with the gesture name and Lua script to be executed. Each checkbox contributes to the overall gesture qualifiers. Meaning, drawing a straight line up is one gesture. Drawing a straight line up and scrolling the mouse wheel up is recognized as a completely different gesture. So each checkbox indicates the inclusive modifiers which define an action. A gesture doesn't have to be selected, you can leave it empty and check a modifer, let's say Control for example. Then, if you press the hook button (right mouse, by default) and tap the Control key once, then let go of the hook button, that action will fire. Repeat but also tap the Shift key and it won't fire, as that would be considered a different gesture altogether.

Application/Ignored Qualifiers:

You'll notice the ****load of fields (Owner Title, Parent Class, etc) which can be used to qualify an Application (or Ignored window). It is important to note that these field are all used as part of a big boolean for the app. So if you have something in every field, EVERY single criterion must be matched. I highly recommend clearing out most of the fields after matching with the find window tool, often just the File Name is sufficient. Note that the pattern fields match using regular expressions. Only one field requires a value, if all are empty the entry will simply be skipped. This level of control can be quite powerful, such as ignoring only a certain part of a window, or having a completely separate set of gestures/actions for each part of a window if desired.

Lua script:

The main purpose of StrokesPlus is to create numerous granular functions (actions exposed to Lua) and let you decide what happens. I hope someday this forum becomes a gathering place where people share various Lua scripts which do things I would've never even thought about :-)

This means that making things happen in SP are not point-and-click, but that's the trade-off for power and flexibility. Plus, I really am not trying to market this to the masses...time has proven that the masses have little interest in gestures, unless they're few and simple. But not you and I, we want to run everything with hardly moving a muscle, as efficiently as possible.

I like turtles.

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  08:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Some of this is no longer necessary with new releases, but still provides some useful info about the functionality of StrokesPlus...so I'm leaving it here until I complete a user guide/help file and associated post.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  04:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Help page is now available:

http://www.strokesplus.com/help/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: