Off Topic
 What about Rob?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beholder

60 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  21:43:30  Show Profile
Hey, I was wondering.. Rob, you're quickly becoming one of my role-models and I know you just for 2 days and completely non-personally.

Perhaps one day I will make a "single dev rock-stars" series of articles about "how a single developer makes a whole world of difference with a single app" for some well known tech journal. And you'll be in -- along with WinUAE's Toni Wilen, N++'es Don, WinSCP's Martin Prikryl, TC's Christian Ghisler and Virtual Dub's Phaeron.

My view here is that as an industry, we need more rock-stars like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc.. So could you write more about yourself, where did you get your education, how did you get into computers and stuff, what games you played in past, how did you learn programming. Together with that S+ info it would make an interesting reading. Also please let us know about your other projects and daily work you do. Your likes and dislikes. What were you like as a kid. Your relationship to females as a programmer (this will be a trick question to all devs, you don't really have to answer that one ).

This time, it's just a curiosity. But if I ever write something, I'll first sum up what I can find here and will let you know because there will be things I'll need to fill in.

---------------------------------------------
Current fav pr0nstar: Malena Morgan
http://www.artlk.com/2012/04/malena-morgan-sensational-pictures.html

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  22:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
Uhh I share your appreciation of Rob, but don't you think he might want to keep his private life to himself, or at least mention things whenever he feels they are appropriate? You can ask, of course, but...
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  00:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I share your appreciation of me as well

It's that I mind terribly, but I really don't feel like writing a novel (why I'm not a tech journalist!).

The bullet points:

1. First computer was an IBM PS/2 386. Learned all about DOS (IBM an MS) as well as Windows 3.1 and QBASIC
2. Never graduated high school or received any further formal education (I'm an autodidact!)
3. Worked at technical support for the Sony VAIO in Ft. Myers, FL when they first came out (and got in lots of trouble screwing around with the network and other people's systems)
4. Moved to Philly
5. Worked for Entex (since absorbed by Siemens) upgrading Cigna's desktops to Windows 98
6. Worked for Rohm and Haas as a Desktop Architect where I started getting into programming more, Visual Basic/ASP
7. Joined up with a buddy in Florida to start a web server (HW) company, wrote my first C++ program, which was an embedded app that provided an interface with an LCD and buttons to Windows (set the IP address, display stats, etc. without having to hook up a monitor). There was never enough money to get that off the ground.
8. Got married and drove 18 wheelers across the country delivering all kinds of goods
9. Went to work for Publix Supermarkets in Lakeland, FL in the IT department, supporting and updating several business applications
10. Came to MarketingProfs where I am currently employed. I make various updates and additions to our website as well as work with virtually everything relating to a web-based business; server admin, SQL, reports for business units, and plenty of dev.
11. Just took a sip of Diet Dr. Pepper, but I think I'm going to switch to Stella Artois
12. I'll probably go to the bathroom on the way to the fridge. Shit, I better let the dogs out too.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  00:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
BTW, I ever so slowly learned programming across many years; jumping into it a little bit and coming back to it again later (rinse and repeat). Eventually, it all started to come together and make sense, regardless of language.
Go to Top of Page

Cerberus

Netherlands
86 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  00:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Cerberus's Homepage
Very interesting information, especially points 12 and 1. My first computer was something older than 386, it was black and white, and it had a name like DSX or something.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  00:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Oh wait, it was actually a 286 with a WHOPPING 1MB RAM, 640k with 384k extended; who could EVER need more than that?! Even had a 30MB HD, double-spaced to 60MB =)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000