Alt-Tab Switching (Win8)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

plunt

Italy
88 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  09:13:56  Show Profile
Do it is possible to do [url=http://lifehacker.com/5271501/activate-alt+tab-switching-with-just-your-mouse]"Activate Alt-Tab Switching With Just Your Mouse"[/url] with StrokesPlus?

cyberalex4life

53 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  02:35:47  Show Profile
You just have to send the keys Ctrl + Alt + Tab and you enter Alt + Tab invironment. From here you can switch through applications with options like mouse scroll, arrows...
Go to Top of Page

cyberalex4life

53 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  02:37:51  Show Profile
You just have to send the keys Ctrl + Alt + Tab and you enter Alt + Tab invironment. From here you can switch through applications with options like mouse scroll, arrows... You exit by selecting one window, or by esc (whitch you should implement as gesture). The fun part is when you use instead of Alt + Tab Ctrl + WinKey + Tab.
Go to Top of Page

cumanzor

5 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  22:04:58  Show Profile
I was actually trying to use this:

acSendKeys("^%{TAB}")

But it doesn't seem to be working for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  22:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That won't behave properly because Windows takes control and the Control and Alt key states get messed up. So sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't.

I recommend using this instead:

acSendKeys("^@{TAB}")
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  22:12:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Further explanation:

S+ is sending the key down and key up messages, but in the Alt+Tab switcher, it's expecting the keys to be held down, then released..so it just isn't an ideal action. Whereas the above (Ctrl+Win+Tab) is a send and release, then you can scroll the mouse wheel and click the window you want.
Go to Top of Page

cumanzor

5 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  01:16:53  Show Profile
Tried that, but it's not working either.

I'm using W8, and I'm running as administrator. Could it be a compatibility issue? All other gestures I've tried are working fine.

edit: Oh, there is no Aero Flip in W8 anymore so that combination won't work.

Edited by - cumanzor on 10/24/2012 01:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  06:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I'll have to see if I can get Win8 up and running in a VM again. In the meantime, does acNextApplication() help in any way?
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  07:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Ah, while I've been unable to confirm it, I believe it's because the Task Switcher runs in the Metro UI space, where S+ only runs in the Desktop space...so pulling up the Task Switcher via sending keyboard commands won't work. I'll keep looking around see if there's another way to make it work.

Edit: Confirmed. S+ isn't developed in WinRT and thus cannot interact with the Metro UI in any way. Briefly looking at the WinRT API it doesn't seem mouse hooks are anywhere to be found.

See the post below for more info on this topic:
http://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=489#1077

It appears AHK users have the same issue, likely due to the exact same reason:
http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=87233&p=560806

So it would seem acPreviousApplication() [like Alt+Tab] or acNextApplication() [like Alt+Shift+Tab] will have to do for now. The only other thing I can think of would be to find some Task Switching utility that lets you assign a hotkey to pull up and acSendKeys the hotkey? Or acSendKeys("^+{ESCAPE}") to open the Task Manager..but that's really no kind of option at all.

I've tested this program in Windows 8:

http://www.ntwind.com/software/vistaswitcher.html

...then setup an action to open the task list:

acSendKeys("@{F12}")

Just an example using one app, I'm sure there are plenty others.

Edit: P.S. I really don't know why MS had to make the desktop second class, they could've easily bolted the touch/tablet interface TO the desktop instead of the reverse.
Go to Top of Page

cumanzor

5 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  22:41:40  Show Profile
Great. Thanks! I will be using Switcher and a key combo then. Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  17:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Just a follow up, now that I've upgraded to Windows 8 (just to support S+ users, see how dedicated I am!).

It turns out that it is not a matter of platform, rather it's a security restriction relating to UI access. It is technically possible to make S+ work with the Alt+Tab list, but in the end it's not really worth it:

- StrokesPlus.exe must be signed AND in a restricted location (\Windows, \Program Files)
- Signing is expensive for me to do, or a huge pain for you to self sign every release.

So, I'm still recommending the use of a separate utility to facilitate this functionality if needed.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  11:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I'll begin releasing a version of S+ which must be signed (locally, by you), but will allow S+ to invoke the task switcher, draw gesture lines on the Start screen, and generally interoperate with Windows 8 much better.

See this post for details:

http://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=565
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  17:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Update, check this thread:

http://www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=565#1353
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked