[WORKAROUND] Resizing Settings Window
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  11:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
For some systems, resizing the Settings window can be extremely choppy and sluggish. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is yet, but if you switch to the About tab first, resizing is responsive since there are no controls that are repositioning/resizing within the tab.

breakcore

Russia
74 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  04:57:22  Show Profile
Hi Rob.
I find this quite annoying, actually.
It's not only resizing - maximizing/restoring, switching between app and gesture settings also causes the settings window to hang and slowly redraw itself. It takes about 1.5 sec.
WORKAROUND for resizing doesnt work for me. May be something wrong with my system? (win7, 32bit, pentium dual core 2GHz, 3GB ram)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  12:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That's really weird. I have zero lag resizing, in any tab. Maximizing/minimizing is also instant....which means it's going to be difficult for me to reproduce and fix :-/

However, I know the UI code isn't very clean as this is the first time I've made a C++ WinAPI UI and it's pretty hacked together. The core functionality is pretty solid, but I know the UI needs to be reworked. I'll try to get around to going through it and seeing what I can do to clean things up.
Go to Top of Page

breakcore

Russia
74 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  20:36:43  Show Profile
I've found what causes this problem - it's the windows classic theme
or, to be exact, disabled "visual styles on windows and buttons":

when I check this box everything is ok, (except that weird modern look=)
is there a chance to fix that while having the classic theme set?
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  01:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
It seems to be a pain to support visual styles while also making them optional. Mostly because the dependency is defined in the manifest and there's no easy way to remove it. The SetWindowTheme(hwnd, L"", L"") API call seems to indicate it disables visual styles, but the way the windows are created (it seems) makes this not really work well.

So, see if this works:

http://www.strokesplus.com/files/StrokesPlus_2.3.4_Visual_Style_Test_x86_chg.zip

It has the Common Controls version 6 dependency removed from the manifest; so, in theory, it should work okay with your system configuration.
Go to Top of Page

breakcore

Russia
74 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  04:07:37  Show Profile
that doesn't work, plus when pressing on any app settings it drops me to it's first gesture settings.
You know, it's not a bug for you to spend a lot of time on. I can live with it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000