Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  13:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Changed in 2.1.2:

Changed the way acDisplayText works, instead of creating and destroying a full screen window each time, one is created at startup and left in place, showing/hiding as necessary.

This also allows a subsequent calls to acDisplayText to replace the displayed text. However, a new call to acDisplayText while one is already displays immediately replaces the existing text, regardless of the previous call's display duration. If you want to display a message, followed by another in the same action, you would need to add a call to acDelay(ms) to pause the action so the next call to acDisplayText doesn't replace the previous one until you'd like it to.

Although, any other action that calls acDisplayText during this pause would still replace the text..this is about the best I'm willing to do with this at the moment..I can't imagine it would cause a problem for anyone, especially considering acDisplayText is more flexible now.

Therefore, the Lua script immediately following the call to acDisplayText is no longer on hold until the text duration has passed, it executes immediately; so if you want the delay, you'll need to add a call to acDelay(ms).

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  17:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
2.2.2:

This change has been reverted.

- Reverted the changes made to acDisplayText as they introduced some other intermittent display issues and inconsistent behavior. I believe the Lua state change actually addressed the original reason that acDisplayText was changed.Long-term, I'd like to completely change the way this action functions, but for now I'm putting things back to the functionality prior to 2.1.2. These means that calls to acDisplayText once again cause script processing to be on hold until the text display duration has passed. To be honest, I'm not at all happy with this action; it's been nothing but trouble and needs to be completely changed. Though, I need to spend some time to think about how to properly implement it. I apologize for this flip-flop, but the random display oddities were unnacceptable.
Go to Top of Page

Andreasvb

Sweden
46 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  17:12:52  Show Profile
Haven't tried the new version, but maybe have an option to toggle the way to render acDisplayText?

Windows 8.1u3 Pro x64 Media Center / Portable StrokesPlus 2.8.2.0
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  21:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
It's more complicated than that; it affects the way S+ starts (toggling would require restart), thread separation, etc.

The problem with 2.1.2 is that under some circumstances (random), the whole screen can become grayed out with an overlay, and drawing gestures gradually "erase" that partially opaque overlay. It's very sloppy and not something I want to leave it place.

A more robust and permanent solution needs to be developed.

I don't plan to release any significant changes prior to coming up with a permanent solution to the acDisplayText window, so you're welcome to run a prior version if it's a big issue. If that is the case, please let me know..and the reason(s) why so I can be sure they're considered while coming up with a new solution.
Go to Top of Page

Andreasvb

Sweden
46 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  08:10:51  Show Profile
You already know the issue I have. ;)

Crashes when doing gestures fast.

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  08:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Right, but the Lua state changes may have corrected the crashing issue.
Go to Top of Page

Andreasvb

Sweden
46 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  09:27:50  Show Profile
Seems to work fine. :)

Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  10:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
The next release (2.2.3) will, however, include a small change to prevent the call to acDisplayText from stopping the action from processing until the duration has passed. It will create the text window in its own thread so the script will continue processing immediately. If a delay is needed, adding a call to acDelay after acDisplayText will take care of it for those who have a need for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000