[ADDED] Spacebar button
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marxon

7 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  12:45:07  Show Profile
Hi Rob,

i really love your awesome gesture tool.
Espacially since i put a touch panel on my laptop!
I have some suggestion for you too:
Can you please add the spacebar button to the list of available
stroke and ignore buttons?

Best regards
Marxon

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  19:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I've added the spacebar as an option in 2.4.0. However, it's not visible to pick from the S+ user interface because of the inherent oddities with using it as the stroke key. Just like the Shift key, it can be used as well, but isn't shown because it has oddities and I don't want the average person using it only to say S+ sucks or something...when it's just the nature of the usage.

Anyway, as mentioned in the release notes, you will have to manually edit your StrokesPlus.xml file (in the same folder as StrokesPlus.exe) and set the mouse button setting to -4 (<MouseButton>-4</MouseButton>).

Unless you change the stroke button, you won't have to do this again, even though nothing is selected in the Preferences window, it still saves the setting from the file back if nothing is picked.

Of course, I don't really know how well this will work in reality...you may find many reasons why the spacebar simply isn't practical as a stroke button after running with it for a while. Either way, do let me know.

Unfortunately, the spacebar cannot be used as an ignore key. To do so would mean S+ would need to consume the space key when you pressed it to ignore a gesture (otherwise whatever window that had focus would get one or many space keys sent to it). If S+ consumes the spacebar, then...well...you'd never be able to type a space Control, Shift, Alt are only modifiers, so S+ doesn't have to consume the event when you press them.

I know it sounds like a lot of negativity in this post, but it's just to stress that there may likely be unexpected side effects of using the spacebar which make sense from a technical point of view, but things that you may not have thought of. However, I try my best to accommodate people where it's technically reasonable to do so and doesn't break the program structure, so I'm happy to add this for you to try out; even though it's a hidden option.

Please let me know how it works out, I would appreciate any details about the oddities that you encounter and how significant they are...as well as if you continue to use the feature. If there are issues which you encounter that simply make it unacceptable, I will remove the functionality completely so it's not sitting around in the code.
Go to Top of Page

Marxon

7 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  20:02:27  Show Profile
Hi again,

damn Rob your are fast in programming!
I will test everything next days.
Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Marxon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic