Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2012 :  22:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Ok, so Windows 8 isn't as bad as I thought

With Start8 and some S+ code, I have to admit I'm overall pleased with it. Of course, I would go absolutely insane without Start8 and would really have a hard time stomaching the lack of Start button. Best $5 one could spend. I have Start8 set to respond to the Win key and hide the charms/other hot areas, a gesture to open the Win8 Start screen if I need it and one to pull up the task switcher (Ctrl+Alt+Tab); so all in all, it feels like Win7 with some extra stuff available that I probably won't use. However, Win8 is very efficient with resources and there are a couple nice features that make it worth it, like file copying (being able to pause individual copies in progress), the overhauled Task Manager, and built-in taskbars for multiple monitors.

I still stand by my assertion that removing the Start button was ludicrous, but I suppose it's created a market for replacements like Start8 and Classic Shell, so overall it's not that terrible. Besides, $39.99 wasn't a bad deal to upgrade to a legit version of Windows; at least they learned something there

Loamaro

Russia
14 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  07:33:50  Show Profile
I also have a Windows 8. But I chose StartIsBack as the start menu: a cheap and completely native application (here http://startisback.com)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  09:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
StartIsBack is much better, I must say.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: