Disable S+ on Scrollbars
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marxon

7 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  18:15:55  Show Profile
Hi everybody,
first of all i have to say this tool is awesome.
Especially with some touch pannel laptop :)
But i have some question too:
It is possible to disable S+ when touching a scrollbar?
For me this would be the best way to scroll in windows.
I tried to configure the S+ irgnore list.
But had no success :(
May someone can help me?

Thanks a lot!
Best regards
Marxon

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  18:48:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Hi Marxon!

Would you mind giving me some very detailed information about your configuration and how you're using S+?

Meaning, what is your stroke button assigned as, is this a touch screen, what are the exact steps you're doing and what happens now, what are the steps you would you like to do and have happen?

I know it seems like your question is very straight forward, but as you can imagine, there are many subtleties which help me fully understand exactly how i can try to help (plus I'm still taking pain medication from surgery, so I'm a little loopy!).

When giving me the details, pick one program which is common to everyone, like Notepad. If you're using a touch screen, give me the details of those steps and with a mouse (if possible) so i can see if the problem is the same.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Marxon

7 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  19:35:11  Show Profile
Hi Rob,
thank you for your quick response.
Sorry for giving less informations.
I am using a resistive touch screen.
It sends a left klick if touched and a right klick if touched longer then an adjustable time.
S+ uses the left button too as stroke button.
Everything works without problems.
But if i want to klick (and hold) a windows scrollbar (the bar not the up/down buttons)and want to move it for scrolling then S+ starts drawing a gesture.
Ok i could wait until the cancel delay or hit the ignore key but i thought it is may be possible via the irgnore list because there is also an exception available for the taskbar.
I hope you can understand by bad english :)

Best regards
Marxon

EDIT:
I guess it is difficult to make it work for every program.
So Firefox and windows explorer wouldt be most important.

Edited by - Marxon on 01/04/2013 19:40:35
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  19:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Thank you, these are the exact details I was looking for!

Scrollbars are a little tricky since they don't generally have the best identifiable properties, when looking at them from another program (like S+). However, I'll give this some thought; I'm sure we can figure something out

I can understand you fine, by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Marxon

7 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  19:46:34  Show Profile
YOu exactly answerd my edit during writing :)
I have suscribed your rss news long time ago.
So i will know if you managed this issue.
I am convinced you will do it ;)
Thanks a lot and keep working on your great piece of Software!
Best regards
Marxon
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  21:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Hmm, well it's fairly easy for Windows Explorer, just create an Ignored app for explorer.exe as the File Name and ScrollBar as the Control Class Name (leave all other fields empty).

However, the entire Firefox window is one big control, so you can't detect if you're over the scrollbar

So Firefox handles everything internally; one big window control and the code (inside Firefox) determines how to handle the mouse event, determines if it is over the scrollbar (since Firefox knows internally where it is, etc.) and what to do.

You could technically do some API calls to get the window styles and determine if you're within the coordinate area of the scrollbar in Firefox, but it wouldn't do you any good since that would only be something you could do inside of a Lua script (which would be too late, after a gesture was executed).

Any alternative I can come up with is more involved than just letting the timeout expire, so there's no point (like setting up an action which calls acDisableNext() in Firefox, so the next touch is ignored...but you might as well just let the timeout expire).

One possibility (but it has drawbacks) is to uncheck Reset Cancel Delay On Movement/Modifier* in Preferences. Then you would touch and drag to scroll as you want to, and once the timeout is reached, the scroll button would attach to the mouse. This tells S+ to timeout once the cancel delay is reached, regardless of whether you're still drawing or not. This works well for your specific situation of scrolling (using a short cancel delay, maybe 500ms), but it means that you have to be fast enough with all gestures to complete them in under 500ms. Give it a try just so you can see what I mean; if you only have simple (quick) gestures, it may be perfectly fine.

I'll keep thinking about it and see if anything else comes to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Marxon

7 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  23:11:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rob
One possibility (but it has drawbacks) is to uncheck Reset Cancel Delay On Movement/Modifier* in Preferences.

Hi again!
Yeah this sounds interesting. I will give it a try abd give you feedback.
Thanks
Marxon
Go to Top of Page

Marxon

7 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  20:31:54  Show Profile
And again Hi again!

OK Rob after changing some firefox gestures, i agree disableing the RESET CANCEL DELAY... option is a good alternative. :)
But nevertheless i have a new idea (ok may it was mentioned before. have not used forum search)
Whats about using the double klick event (mouse button held down after 2nd klick)
as ignore key? Is this possible?

Edited by - Marxon on 01/05/2013 20:32:47
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2013 :  20:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I'm not following exactly what you mean. Are you saying to double-tap and hold to ignore?

I'm not sure if there's a way to make that work as it sounds like it would be considered a mouse button event, which can't be an ignore key. However, if there is a way in software (like a touchscreen driver?) which allows you to have the double-tab be assignable to a hotkey or something, you could create a hotkey to call acDisableNext... This is very difficult to work through since I don't have a touchscreen to work with

If you can provide any additional info about what is happening in these situations (like, what is a double-tap hold considered? How does it behave as if you were using a mouse?)

I'm guessing that the touchscreen driver considers a double-tap hold to be the same as holding the left mouse button down (like it attaches to the mouse cursor), if that's what it's doing, then we can't work around that. But if you can set what a double-tap hold triggers in the touchscreen driver, we might be able to do something.

I hope this makes any sense at all!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000