Closed or Deferred Requests
 [DEFERRED] Ability to set S+ priority
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beholder

60 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  14:52:15  Show Profile
Slow machine here as usual (I do have to upgrade, it's becoming PITA lately). When I ran a video and then did some gestures in another app, every gesture jerked my video for just 1/4 of second. It's very visible, sound also jerked.

Now, I have no idea how I have found this but somehow I got into Task Manager at the time of this S+ problem and noticed the S+ process priority as High (I am using S+ 2.2.9). Then it dowged on me.. the fix for this S+ behavior would be to lower the priority, which I immediately tried. While there was no problem in overall S+ performance, there was no more jerking in the background video when gestures were made.

Is there any way for users to set S+ process priority other than high without using 3rd party utils? I understand this option has been added fairly recently, about a year ago.. Can you make it a part of advanced/experimental set of settings? THANKS!!

plunt

Italy
88 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2013 :  15:36:34  Show Profile
acSetProcessPriority(acFindWindow("STROKESPLUS"), nil, nil, 0x00000020)
in global lua
Go to Top of Page

beholder

60 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  18:49:34  Show Profile
interestingly enough, the above fix only works when S+ already runs. After I add it to the Global Lua section.

But when I exit S+ and then I run it again, priority becomes high again and stays so.

Other than that it fixed the bug, except that it stays fixed only until next restart.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  20:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Did you try adding it to the sp_init function? Not at my computer to test it out, but it should persist on startup in that function as it's called after everything is initialized.

www.strokesplus.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=554
Go to Top of Page

plunt

Italy
88 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  00:30:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by beholder

interestingly enough, the above fix only works when S+ already runs. After I add it to the Global Lua section.
But when I exit S+ and then I run it again, priority becomes high again and stays so.
Other than that it fixed the bug, except that it stays fixed only until next restart.

Strange to me it always works.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob

Did you try adding it to the sp_init function? Not at my computer to test it out, but it should persist on startup in that function as it's called after everything is initialized.

I had not realized that you added sp_init.
I moved the code there, it is better not being executed twice, and it works the same.
Go to Top of Page

beholder

60 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  19:47:23  Show Profile
Thanks for the support, guys, the problem of running with High prio after restart (with global lua hack) was due to older S+ version. It dawged on me when you wrote that for you it always stays normal.
Is it just me or this shitty computer really feels snappier now?
In the morning I will try running with sound/video, will report what is left of the video-jerking issue.

Edited by - beholder on 01/17/2013 19:53:37
Go to Top of Page

beholder

60 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:12:33  Show Profile
It's still jerking a little, even with the priority lowered.. Albeit it's much better performance-wise, the jerking is not as pronounced as it used to be. It's 80-90 percent better, actually.

Perhaps it now modifies its priority for just a split second when there is a gesture recognition (after gesture is made) and then the prio returns it back to normal..
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  08:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Nope, it used to, but now the priority is only set once when S+ starts; I've even searched the code just to make sure.

When you start drawing a gesture (with drawing gesture enabled), Windows has to perform alpha blending with the S+ draw window and all visible windows underneath it (which are all windows you can see). Video is constantly changing and this makes Windows have to do quite a bit of processing to keep blending the gesture draw window and the moving video below it. Really this is likely a matter of GPU power. Try disabling S+ from drawing and confirm what I've said above; to make sure my suspicions are correct.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000