Strokes relay in window with subwindows
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joerrk

4 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  09:45:32  Show Profile
Hello Rob,
If a Window has Subwindows, like Totalcommander, the command I trigger with a stroke applies to the active Subwindow, not the Subwindow I start the stroke in.

This is counterintuitive, especially as S+ has Mouse wheel relay. So S+ should have Strokes Relay as well.

Regards
Joerg

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  09:22:39  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
This has been addressed many other times in the forum. Basically, there are multiple stances depending on who you're talking to and what specifically they're trying to achieve at that moment.

I intentionally designed S+ to make the least amount of assumptions; leaving it up to each person to handle things how they wish.

For example, I do not want S+ to activate any window or child window automatically (something which is required if you're sending keystrokes). I have many gestures which work with the window where the gesture was drawn, but does not need (nor do I want it to) activate the window.

Others would want S+ to activate the main application where the gesture was drawn (not a child window within it).

While some want to get more granular, activating a child window.

This is something that can be accomplished via the sp_before_action function in Global Lua or within your specific action(s); however it will likely require some scripting or logic as there are many different possibilities that you'll encounter.

The mouse wheel relay and actions are two entirely different beasts and cannot be easily compared, even though it seems like it shouldn't be much different. The wheel relay simply posts a message to the window below the mouse, that is very easy to do and most applications will bubble the message up the chain until the application (or Windows) handles the event.

Having actions (almost exclusively those which utilize acSendKeys) interact with child windows is much different. Most actions can interact fine with the child window, but if you want to send any kind of keystrokes, it must be activated or it won't receive input. While it's technically possible to post keystroke messages to a window, that's a rather complicated and inconsistent effort as each window and application is different in how and where it handles the keystroke messages.

So basically, in the nicest way possible, I'm stating that this isn't something which can be easily accomplished in a universal fashion, and thus will not be something which is integrated into S+ at this time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000