Requests
 [OPEN] Let any button be the Stroke button
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Igor Nichols

7 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  01:55:33  Show Profile
My mouse has lots of unused buttons but S+ allows only a small set of buttons to be used as "Stroke Button". It would be great to use any button. My mouse driver software allows to assign key combinations to mouse buttons. If S+ could detect such a key combination as "Stroke Button" I could use any mouse button with S+.

Edited by - Igor Nichols on 09/26/2013 17:19:04

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  16:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
It's a bit more complicated than simply opening it up to any key, but I'll leave the request open for the future.
Go to Top of Page

Igor Nichols

7 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  23:02:49  Show Profile
As an alternative S+ could listen to window messages. I would then let AutoHotkey capture my mouse button actions and make it send a window message to S+ that would be like the Stroke button down or up press.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  14:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That seems like a relatively easy compromise. There could be two messages which cause S+ to respond as though the stroke button was pressed or released and the existing code should handle that without much else needed.

I'm in the middle of a transition between housing, so I won't be able to get to this for approximately a month, but I'll let you know if it's as easy as I think it should be when I get a chance to look into it.
Go to Top of Page

Igor Nichols

7 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  19:36:39  Show Profile
Thank you for thinking about it.
An alternative to window messages could be that S+ listens to a keyboard or a mouse event only on its window. Instead of a window message then I could make AutoHotkey send a key/button down and up event specifically to an invisible S+ window.

Another idea: S+ has a "Configure Hotkeys" tab. You could implent two S+ Control Actions that make S+ respond as if the stroke button was pressed or released. I could then add 2 Hotkeys in S+, one for the press action and one for release.
Go to Top of Page

Savage

2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  17:03:04  Show Profile
How about using no Stoke Buttons at all? (Except perhaps when learning the stroke.) All I need are mouse gestures w/ my trackball. No restrictions!
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  13:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I'm not sure if you've thought this one through

How exactly would S+ know when you started or ended a gesture? It would just draw lines every single time you moved the trackball, then never know when you wanted the gesture to stop, unless you let the timeout trigger it.

Either way, the concept is full of implementation problems that would not be practical for virtually anyone unless they simply had a trackball sitting there that was dedicated for S+, but even then, two pointing devices aren't able to be differentiated within the WM_MOUSE* messages, so even with a dedicated trackball, moving the mouse would also cause S+ to capture the movement.

So unfortunately, this simply cannot be easily achieved in a reasonable and usable way for 99% of people out there.
Go to Top of Page

Savage

2 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  14:34:01  Show Profile
I've done that sort of thing for a decade w/ Pop-Mouse Lite (circa Win98/NT which no longer works on most new OS and the company has long gone...) http://www.totalshareware.com/asp/detail_view.asp?application=7598

Perhaps since it was limited to 6 motions, it could handle such a thing. After a decade of my old way, I'm now trying to reprogram my old brain and hand/mouse movements.

Thanks for the quick, descriptive response.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  14:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Perhaps since it was limited to 6 motions [...]

Ah yes, that would make a big difference indeed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000