Resolved Bugs and Issues
 [RESOLVED] scrolling in windows 8 apps
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neogrinch

2 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  22:50:08  Show Profile  Send neogrinch an AOL message
First off, this product is great! I used a mouse gesture program years ago, but develop on it stopped, so I started using browser plugins for gestures within Firefox/Chrome after that. I recently did a google search for newer Windows wide gesture programs and found Strokes Plus. I use it both at home and work now for the past couple of weeks.

I have Windows 8 at home, and I use several "Metro" apps on a regular basis. When Strokes Plus is running, scrolling (both horizontal and vertical) with the mouse wheel is not working in MANY APPS. The scrolling works fine in the Start screen, as well as all Windows made apps, but does not work in Netflix, Facebook, Weather Channel, Cnn, and others. So far the only other third party app I have found that it does work in is Flixter (which is horizontal scrolling). As soon as I exit Strokes Plus, scrolling works fine again in all Apps. This was occurring pre 8.1 but is still occurring now that I have upgraded to Window 8.1. I am using the latest stable version of Strokes Plus.

Any ideas? Can others replicate the problem?

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  23:44:07  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
You try unchecking Enable Mouse Wheel Relay in the Preferences tab?

It was something I quickly added for a request. Though I haven't yet tried reproducing the issue.
Go to Top of Page

neogrinch

2 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  00:20:42  Show Profile  Send neogrinch an AOL message
That got it!! I unchecked "Enable Mouse Wheel Relay" and scrolling is working fine in apps now. Thanks! Seems odd that it would work in some but not others with that option checked.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  00:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
It just relays the wheel message to the control below the cursor, which may not always be the proper/true handler for mouse events within a certain app.
Go to Top of Page

aoeui

4 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2013 :  00:40:35  Show Profile
I have the same problem. I'm using Windows 8.1 RTM.

I think it have nothing to do with whether Microsoft made the apps. I found that the mouse wheel works fine when the current app's file name is "WWAHost.exe", but fails when the file name is NOT "WWAHost.exe". For example, mouse wheel fails in "PC settings" which file name is "SystemSettings.exe".
Go to Top of Page

stormi

4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  13:22:23  Show Profile
I just wanted to report the same.

For example on "NextGen Reader" scrolling works in the main article window but not in the article list when "Mouse Wheel Relay" is enabled.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2013 :  14:28:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
It looks like CoreWindow class windows do not receive/process standard Windows messages. I've made a tweak to the relay code to skip the message relay if the mouse is over a window with a class of Windows.UI.Core.CoreWindow. FYI, regarding NextGen Reader, it worked in the article pane because that control is actually an Internet Explorer Server, which does accept/process the standard messages.

Some quick testing seems to work fine (NextGen Reader, PC Settings), but give it a spin and let me know how it works.

http://www.strokesplus.com/files/StrokesPlus_MouseRelayUpdate.zip

The ZIP only contains the EXE/DLL for each S+ build variation, you'll have to manually replace the files wherever you installed StrokesPlus. If all goes well with this update, I'll make an official release.
Go to Top of Page

aoeui

4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  03:56:13  Show Profile
I installed the update with the option "Enable Mouse Wheel Relay" on.

Now mouse wheel works fine in Metro apps.

But on Desktop, mouse wheel has some problems with drop-down lists. Normally if a drop-down list has focus, you can use mouse wheel to choose items no matter where the mouse cursor is. But with "Enable Mouse Wheel Relay" on, there are two results:

1. You must move the mouse over the drop-down list to choose items using mouse wheel.

This happens in:

Script selection in Font Dialog (Notepad -> Menu -> Format -> Font... -> Script)
Location selection in Control Panel (Control Panel -> Region -> Location tab -> Home location);
etc.

2. You cannot use mouse wheel to choose items even if the mouse is over the drop-down list.

I only found one place than has the problem:

Folder customization selection (Properties dialog of any folder -> Customize -> Optimize this folder for).
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  14:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Due to the nature of overriding the default mouse wheel behavior, there will always be situations/behaviors that are counter-intuitive.

The drop-down issue is a perfect example, normally the mouse wheel will affect the control which currently has focus, but having this functionality means you'd have to be over the drop-down and there's really no feasible way around that.

Issue 2 is another one of those exceptions where the control doesn't actually manage/handle the mouse wheel message and it's not bubbling up the chain to actual handler so the message is essentially lost.

Given these known edge cases, it sounds like for now it's at least working about as good as one could expect, especially regarding Metro app interaction; that was definitely a significant interop problem which needed addressing.

I'll wait awhile and see if there's any additional feedback or fine tuning I decide to make before packaging this into a stable release.

Thanks everyone for testing this out!
Go to Top of Page

aoeui

4 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  09:39:49  Show Profile
I found a metro app that mouse wheel doesn't work even after the update.

That is Windows 8.1 built-in Search app.

You can press Win+S to open Search charm, type anything in the search box. The search results in the Search charm contain two parts, the first part is the results from apps and files, the second part is the results from the web.

You can click any result from the web to open Search app (a full window app, other than the charm).

You will find mouse wheel still doesn't work in Search app.

The Search app is a little bit strange, because you can't find it in the Processes tab of Task Manager.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  09:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
The Search Pane is something which is running within the shell (Explorer.exe).

I found its class name (SearchPane), but am wondering if there's a more generic solution to this. I don't want to keep adding class name checks each time something comes up. I wonder if the immersive window status is sufficient...I'll have to put a test build together for that check instead and see how it works.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  10:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Try version 2.7.5.2

Changed from checking the window class name string to the window style of 0x00200000 which seems to exclusively be a style on Metro apps/Charms widgets.

I tested PC Settings, NextGen Reader, Start screen, Search pane and side-by-side on dual screens scrolling over Metro then over desktop apps and all seems to work well.
Go to Top of Page

rustyx

7 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  08:20:30  Show Profile
Having the same issue in Windows 10...

Can't get the Edge browser to scroll neither with WM_MOUSEWHEEL nor with WM_VSCROLL.

The same happens in Store and almost all UWP apps.

Turning off Wheel Relay isn't helping. (S+ v.2.8.6.4)

Anyone have any solution, at least for the Edge browser?

Edited by - rustyx on 10/18/2016 08:45:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000