Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Can I remove Windows 8 Interoperability Warning?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim35

4 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  08:01:55  Show Profile
I just upgraded to Win 8.1 64. Installed the signed 64 bit version of S+. All working just fine as far as I can see. Beautiful.

Minor Problem: Every time the S+ executable is run, the warning dialog box "Windows 8 Interoperability ... Due to changes in Windows 8, S+ may not interact.... etc" and I have to click "OK" to get rid of this box. This is a pain. As I have S+ in the startup folder, this happens every time I log on.

Is there any way I can stop this warning dialog from appearing?

Thanks!

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  08:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
That should only display once. When you click OK, it updates the setting to not show it again.

Are you certain there's nothing that would cause the StrokesPlus.xml file from being saved or replaced?

For example, if S+ were installed in portable mode under Program Files, but not being run with administrative privileges, S+ would not be able to save the file.

Outside of that, you can edit the file mentioned above and set the value from 0 to 1, which will disable the message. I'm on my phone at the moment, so I don't have the exact name of the element, but it should be rather self descriptive, like SawWin8Message or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2013 :  18:09:28  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
FYI, the setting is stored in the following node:

<SawWin8LauncherMessage>1</SawWin8LauncherMessage>
Go to Top of Page

Jim35

4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  07:55:08  Show Profile
Thanks for your reply Rob.

Yep, I guess I could edit that setting. Thanks.

I am indeed a little confused about UAC and the recommended install locations under Win8 as I upgraded from XP and have not used Win7. I tried a number of locations and settled on the following. S+ is installed in c:\Program Files and S+.xml is in C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\StrokesPlus\. I would have thought that the user XXXX would have had the required permissions there? I am not running with Administrator privileges. I run S+ automatically from the Startup folder. I don't know what "portable mode" is.

I apologize for my ignorance. This is clearly a case of me not understanding Win8 rather than a S+ issue.... :-)
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  13:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
No need to apologize, I often am not overly descriptive

Your configuration is perfectly fine and is the default, recommended setup.

Portable mode just means you didn't run the install package, that you're running S+ from some folder somewhere in which all of its files are contained.

There's always the possibility that something odd happened having nothing to do with permissions, but it was just my knee-jerk thought when you explained the situation; either the setting wasn't being saved, something was replacing the file, a Windows virtual store situation was redirecting the file, or you clicked OK to the message, but always exited S+ by killing the process having never saved the file by going into the settings window and clicking OK.

Let me know if changing the setting doesn't work or if you experience any other odd behavior like preferences or gestures not being saved/remembered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000