Requests
 Combine a gesture with scroll wheel events
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gws

4 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  17:43:31  Show Profile  Visit gws's Homepage
My use case is this: Draw a gesture to indicate I want to change the speaker volume. Without releasing the gesture button, scroll the mouse wheel up several times; each bump will increase the system volume one step. Release the gesture button to end the 'compound gesture' and the mouse returns to normal.

I'm already using the default gestureless actions with scroll-up and scroll-down as modifier keys, and I want to do more with the mouse wheel. I could not discover any action configuration that would make this happen the way I have envisioned.

Architecturally speaking, is this a feasible feature?

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  09:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Yes, S+ already supports this, at least if I'm understanding your scenario correctly.

In Preferences, enable the Fire Recognition on Mouse Wheel Scroll.

Create two actions, one for Volume Up, one for Volume Down. Select the same gesture for both actions, let's say a gesture that looks like the letter V. In the Volume Up action, select the Scroll Up modifier, in the Volume Down action, select the Scroll Down modifier.

Then you draw a V and before the Cancel Delay timeout is reached, scroll up or down and the corresponding action will fire. Once you first scroll the mouse, the Cancel Delay timeout is aborted, so the gesture action pair will be fired on scroll up or scroll down until you release the stroke button.
Go to Top of Page

gws

4 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  09:24:58  Show Profile  Visit gws's Homepage
That is indeed what I'm trying to do, but I must have some settings wrong because my volume doesn't change. The scroll-only gestures (change tabs) work just fine, and pressing the volume key on my laptop works. I just tried the V+scroll gesture with the lid open in case having it closed was disabling the change-volume event somehow...still no luck. How else can I debug this? I'll supply screenshots of my configuration if you want them.

[Edit] And I should probably mention sooner rather than later that I've got Active Window Tracking turned on.

Edited by - gws on 04/25/2014 09:51:57
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  16:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
Can you use something else in your scripts to confirm the action is actually firing? Perhaps the volume aspect isn't working, but the action is being recognized; that would be a good start.
Go to Top of Page

gws

4 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2014 :  16:58:34  Show Profile  Visit gws's Homepage
Okay, found the culprit. The entire action was failing because I had 'Right Button' added to the modifiers - Left Button is the default gesture button so I could have been changing my volume this whole time if I'd just held down both buttons on the mouse.

Thanks for taking the time to help me notice the obvious!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000