General Discussion
 Windows 8 Gestures//Touch
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joebob1024

5 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  00:38:34  Show Profile
While I agree that the whole, metro idea is a bit wonky, there are some pretty sweet devices (aka surface pro and new ultrabooks) that will only be available with windows 8. I have found that with the addition of programs like modernmix (shows metro apps in desktop windows) I can use my surface like a laptop, but retain some of the immersive/touch features that I like when using it without a mouse and keyboard.

My biggest problem with windows 8 in general is that it adds some really cool features, but only adds them to metro apps. I really like the swipe from left gesture for dwitching apps, but the fact that it ignores desktop apps makes it almost useless for me since I am rarely running any metro apps. So far, I have figure out that the edge gestures have something to do with what windows calls edgeui and can be disabled through registry settings. What I was wondering is, would it be possible for me to figure out what input the pc receives from swipe gestures and remap them or use the edge gestures as hotkeys. Two examples would be remapping the swipe from left gesture to acNextApplication()and remaping the swipe from bottom gesture to acShellExecute("runas", "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\microsoft shared\\ink\\TabTip.exe", "", "", 1).

The second thing I would like to do is bring back some of the multitouch gestures that they took away. I am currently using the right click button as my strokes button, and it works really well with both press and hold (touch) and the pen button. I would like to to create gestures that only read when swiping multiple fingers on the touch screen, and create scripts that run when I tap with two or three fingers. Would it be possible to set multitouch gestures/taps as my strokes button and as hotkeys?

Thanks, Joe

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2013 :  07:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
I started looking into multitouch, but haven't got very far; but to answer your question: no, you cannot.

I still need to get around to organizing and releasing the S+ source code; after that, perhaps someone will continue working on multitouch and make a release. It's a pretty significant undertaking.
Go to Top of Page

joebob1024

5 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  01:48:10  Show Profile
there is a program called winfx that allows you to use touch flicks on the window's tithe bar that brings touch flicks back to windows 8 but in a limited non-customizable way. Ive looked into recreating it but can't. Is there a way to do something similar with strokes? like could I create a set of directional flicks with my left click and then still have my gestures with right click?

Go to Top of Page

joebob1024

5 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  04:55:47  Show Profile
I really don't understand how strokes it put together, but would it be possibly to ghetto rig it and just make strokes read multiple mouse clicks? The problem I'm having is figuring out how exactly the stem is receiving input from different things& if the second and third touches are also considered mouse clicks, or if they are completely different. Would it be possible to make a window that shows what input strokes is currently g, or maybe ehat has been received in the last few seconds?

Also, Id love to see that source code. It would really cut down on the stupid questions I post in the next few weeks as I learn your awesome program.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
2615 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  20:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob's Homepage
S+ installs a low-level mouse hook via the SetWindowsHookEx Windows API call. Every single mouse event passes through S+ (unless another app hooked the mouse and gets the message(s) first) and S+ decides how to handle or pass them along. As far as touch goes, they're in completely different messages/events. There's absolutely no way to rig/fake touches to be treated as mouse events; excluding what Windows does automatically, which includes moving a single finger as a mouse move, single tapping as left (primary) mouse click. Beyond that, Windows will generally send a right click for a two-finger tap and a couple other things for which it also synthesizes other mouse events, but nothing near as straight-forward as what you're ultimately looking for.

Regarding the flicks, technically it's possible, but S+ is only designed to handle a single stroke button. So on mouse down, if it's not the stroke button, the mouse event is forwarded on. Keep in mind that capturing the left button can seem simple on the surface, but when almost every action where you want something to happen with the mouse is using the left button, it can cause a lot of conflicts and issues with the overall experience. I've tried to keep S+ as self-contained and unobtrusive as possible.

Once I get the time to put the source code together and release it, you're more than welcome to mod as you like! But be warned, it's not for the faint of heart
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StrokesPlus Forum © 2011-2018 Rob Yapchanyk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000